[SOLVED] Component advice and future Proofing build

qzydo

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2012
Not the right time for a build, but here we go, my $1500 build
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/qzydo/saved/79nF8d
Here is my thought process, as I was clicking away in partpicker.
  1. Ryzen 7 3700x is octacore and would provide better performance over 3600. Apart from gaming, I run some simulations and use docker. Do you think I should go with 3600 and invest better on RTX 2070 Super ? Second question is directly related
  2. I have chosen the X570 Mobo, over the B450. Should I scale it back to a B450 and invest the money in 2070 Super ?. I would probably like to upgrade to a 4000 Series desktop Ryzen when they come out, as its said it have improved single threaded performance. Hence, I chose a better Mobo chipset, as a future proof. But what I really care for is top responsiveness in non-games and 1440P@144Hz at most of the games.
  3. I am not Intel averse and don't mind going with them as they still have the performance advantage. My question is how much of an advantage I get. Is it noticeable or is of just academic interest for benchmarks. Also, given Intel's superiority in single threaded applications, does the normal browsing and PC responsiveness better with them, or is Ryzen good enough ?
  4. I am aware that Intel is having issue with their 10nm chips, so does it make sense to go for a 9600K chip (I really would like the 9700k build, but it stresses my $1500 budget) and probably upgrade when the 10 series comes out ? I heard they are going to have some insane boost clocks
  5. Kindly see the other components, is there anywhere I can save some more money or am I bottlenecking the build with any of those parts.
  6. The monitor is unheard of (for me). I heard the priority (correct me if I am wrong) should be FPS > Monitor refresh rate > Monitor size (27" optimal ?) > Resolution. Does the monitor do justice to that, esp because its got only a 4ms response time (not 1ms) ?
  7. Finally 5700 XT vs 2060 Super. I really can't make my mind here. I heard the RTX support is limited in games (I am not a bigg gamer yet), so I choose 5700 XT which is better almost everywhere else. Do you feel, I should invest for a RTX support over higher FPS. Note, the target is 1440P@144Hz (the sweet spot now ?). Or should I cheap out in processor and Mobo and invest all those saving on a 2070 Super.
Really sorry for the looong thread. Kindly weigh in all your opinions. its only my second build, so be gentle

Last edited:
Solution
Honestly, unless DLSS implementation becomes more prominent, the 2070s simply isn't worth the added cost vs a 5700xt. A B450 Tomahawk max would be sufficient, for your build, and save you some cash to maybe put towards a better cooler. The stock cooler is good enough, but it can get loud.

logainofhades

Titan
Honestly, unless DLSS implementation becomes more prominent, the 2070s simply isn't worth the added cost vs a 5700xt. A B450 Tomahawk max would be sufficient, for your build, and save you some cash to maybe put towards a better cooler. The stock cooler is good enough, but it can get loud.

Solution

qzydo

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2012
If you are going for a 1440p 144Hz gaming pc then I would suggest the B450, 3600 and 2070S for your budget.
Can you suggest a good B450 Mobo as well. I would love to have front panel USB 3.2 Type C support. A bit of overclocking headroom. Good VRM etc. WiFi I can add later I guess.

qzydo

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2012
Agreed. I like my Nvidia products, but the cost is absurd, this gen. As what I play is no longer so Nvidia biased, due to DX 12 implementation, I might just go AMD myself, for my next card, depending on pricing.
Ohk, but as I rarely upgrade after a build for so long, I would like to have RTX support. Also I am keen to know what Nvidia is revealing in May 14 what impact it has on other parts.

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
I’d definitely go with more cores if you are doing simulations as well as gaming I’d also look into a gpu that’s good for both, I’d go with either a 5700xt or maybe wait for the 5900xt or potentially Radeon vii as it’s a fairly decent gamer but also a workstation beast. But that all boils down to the apps you use maybe a Nvidia gpu will run your apps better.

For everyone recommending a 5700XT. What about the drivers? Is all the issues from the 5700XT resolved? There are enough threads on this forum with that card having drivers issues for the past few months that I'm always afraid of recommending it. So I would totally recommend an Nvidia card instead of it even if the price is a bit higher.

qzydo

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2012
Thanks a lot for all your opinions. I think I will wait until the May 14 event, see what is coming and take a decision from there. Thanks again, you guys are the best

PanzaruRares

Prominent
Jan 20, 2020
If you're into FPS games I wouldnt recommand the RX 5700 XT even for its lower price it has a very big stutter issue which is not idealy good for games where every frame counts.And I would wait until they release zen 3 so zen 2 will be dirt cheap.On the motherboard side I would wait for the b550 with its pcie gen 4 and good price <around 100 dollars>