[SOLVED] Component cost out of 500

Oct 19, 2020
How much should be invested into a $500 budget build that will run VMs and not have much delays in programs. Doesn't need to have good graphics unless it can fit in budget.
ex. expenses based on CPU (really a $400 budget bc of the OS)
CPU = x
GPU = / of x
PSU = / of x
RAM = / of x
OS = 110

Solution
I would suggest you hold off on that build for just a couple months.

If you don't need a powerful gpu, but it would be a nice to have, I would suggest waiting for intel 11th gen.
Those cpus will be equipped with Xe graphics which should be pretty powerful (I'd say, around the level of a gt 730 or so, which is not high end, but pretty capable they are comparable to the mobile MX330)

While AMD has cpus with good gpus in them today, the cpu is not good. so, good gpu, bad cpu.

So, say you go with the intel 11th gen idea, it will be something along this line:

i3 11300 - 130$
Cheap board - 60$
psu - cx450m, or similar - 60$ or so maybe? not sure on pricing for that.
Ram - depending on how much VMs you have, and what amount you need it...
I would suggest you hold off on that build for just a couple months.

If you don't need a powerful gpu, but it would be a nice to have, I would suggest waiting for intel 11th gen.
Those cpus will be equipped with Xe graphics which should be pretty powerful (I'd say, around the level of a gt 730 or so, which is not high end, but pretty capable they are comparable to the mobile MX330)

While AMD has cpus with good gpus in them today, the cpu is not good. so, good gpu, bad cpu.

So, say you go with the intel 11th gen idea, it will be something along this line:

i3 11300 - 130$
Cheap board - 60$
psu - cx450m, or similar - 60$ or so maybe? not sure on pricing for that.
Ram - depending on how much VMs you have, and what amount you need it will either around 30 dollars, or around 70 dollars.
you would also need a case, say a cheap one for around 80$.

throw some, backup a bit and you get around 400$.

You could do the same today, but change the i3 to a ryzen 3 3200g, or r5 3400g if it fits in the budget. both of which are not good cpus, but have pretty good gpus.
you could also go current gen (10th gen) intel, but that would also not be amazing, since while they have better cpus, it will be a worse gpu. (current intel intergrated gpu is bad.)

Solution
How much should be invested into a $500 budget build that will run VMs and not have much delays in programs. Doesn't need to have good graphics unless it can fit in budget.
ex. expenses based on CPU (really a $400 budget bc of the OS)
CPU = x
GPU = / of x
PSU = / of x
RAM = / of x
OS = 110
Something like this Intel partslist would offer the best performance of CPU/memory/fast storage with an adequate, albeit not great, iGPU and a decent power supply-

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pQmcqp