Component failure - PSU, Motherboard, or GPU?

Terillian

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015
Hello (this is my first post on TH). Please note I have seen many cases similar but none have seemed to fit with my situation so I'd like help on my particular situation. I've searched the entire internet and seemingly tried everything.

For the last couple days I've been having increasing problems with my computer. It started at one point when I headed out to do some errands and left my PC running in sleep mode. After several hours, I returned to my PC which was in sleep (I thought) and attempted to move the mouse and press keys on my keyboard as usual. Nothing happened to the screens, but the fans were spinning and and the front indicator lights were on and operating as I could tell. I proceeded to do a hard shutdown, and attempted to restart my computer. The fans spun and lit up, case lights came on, and everything seemed to work, but there was no case speaker beep or monitor signal (monitors said "No signal" and were black). As I think back, the night I went out we had been having very bad storms and lighting is a real possibility here.

I did many things, and eventually I proceeded to turn off my PSU and unplug it for several hours. When I restarted it, the system started and seemed to work. Later, when I turned off the computer for the night, it would not start the next day. I proceeded to do the process again and it seemed to work. I have been doing this annoying process for several days, and it's very frustrating when I need to use the computer.

Besides having the issue where my PC will not start, I've also had many other issues. These issues include dark border flashes in games, games stuttering, processes locking up and not closing, my system locking up and being much more slow than average, and many many other issues that are performance related, especially when I'm gaming and performing other tasks.

Also note, I had previously had a dual boot. In slight suspicion something had malfunctioned (and because I was tired of GRUB) I removed linux partition and repaired the windows bootloader with a repair disk and the "bootrec /fixmbr" command. It worked, and windows bootloader was restored. I've had dual boot for months with no issue, but it was just a make sure kind of thing. Issue started prior to me removing the dual boot.

Here is what I've tried this far:
- removing ONE ram stick, then the other
- removing both RAM sticks and waiting for the beep code, there is no beep as usual with or without the RAM seated inside
- removing the battery to reset the BIOS
- short circuiting the CLR_BIOS to no avail
- reseating the GPU
- placing the GPU in two different PCIE slots
- replugging in all power cords to EVERYTHING
- checking for exposed cords or anything shorting the MOBO
- unplugging all peripherals
- replugging in all case connections, basically everything has been unplugged from motherboard and plugged back in.
- unplugging all SATA cords
- checked motherboard capacitors for damage
- probably a few others I've done as well
- PSU fan is spinning
- I've cleaned out every last part with a can of compressed air

Here is what I know:
- The monitors work on this computer (I'm on it now)
- The graphics card SEEMS to work, and performs at full performance while gaming, but suddenly things will start getting choppy and computer itself will get slow, not the game.

There seem to be only two solutions that are working somewhat. I've detail them separately below.

Temporary solution #1: Unplugging PSU for several hours with all other parts still intact, and starting the PC after that. It seems to start as regular boot, and goes through the process. If I restart the PC shortly afterwards, it will lockup, it will send no signal to monitor, no case beep, and fans and lights will turn on, just like before. Sometimes the PC will stutter turning on, as in the fan will turn on and then off, then on permanently and will stay on until I turn it off. I will restart this solution and not have a PC for the rest of the day.

Temporary solution #2: This is currently what I'm doing now. I removed my graphics card and I'm running on integrated graphics. After removing the graphics card (completely) I attempted to start the PC. I restarted it several times and it would work 70% of the times, but sometimes it would not boot. So if I remove it the chances of my computer posting and going to boot and windows goes way up. I replugged in the GPU and it didnt work again. Removed it, and it didn't work. I tried about 30 seconds later and it tried. Power up still seems sparatic even with this solution.

I'm really not sure if it's PSU, motherboard, or graphics card that is going out on me. I've tried everything I know and everything everyone seems to know online only for some very confusing results that are not consistent. As much as I love gaming I'm not ready to start throwing money at my computer, because I currently dont have any to waste for that and this is a virtually brand new machine. I'd love some advice on what people think may be the culprit in my problem here.

Here is information and specs on my PC -

Age - Built in mid-march last year running integrated graphics for quite some time. Around may I ordered a r9 270x and got it in a few weeks later. I've gone through 3 moves and lived in both humid and dry environments, and currently live in Colorado.

Specs:
motherboard: Gigabyte H87 LGA 1150 CrossFireX DVI/HDMI ATX
CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz
GPU: Sapphire Radeon VAPOR-X R9 270X 2GB GDDR5
PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX 500 Watt ATX
Case (?): Antec ONE
HDD: WD 1TB
Case fans: 4x 120mm, 1x 140mm

Solution
If you don't have a system speaker attached to the motherboard, there will NEVER be a beep, even when errors are present.

I would highly recommend replacing that Corsair CX unit since it's not Haswell compatible and all your symptoms are pointing to the PSU. The CX units are having a fairly high failure rate, and were moved to Tier 4 on our PSU tier list to reflect that. They were never higher than tier 3 anyhow, and are well known to be problematic. I'd get a good 500w or higher Tier 1 or 2 unit.

PSU Tier list- http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

The Seasonic S12II-520 or M12II-520 would be good choices. Antec High current gamer and True power classic as well. EVGA B2, G2 or P2 units made by Super...

SamiSC

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
At recently had the exact same problem with my old pc. And did just about everything that you mentions. Sadly ended getting a second hand pc and plugging in my gpu to it and works fine now on the new pc so i know it wasnt the gpu for sure.

So you can crossout the gpu from the list. But check if the psu is working properlym by using a different one if you have a second pc at home you can temporarytemporarily use.

If you don't have a system speaker attached to the motherboard, there will NEVER be a beep, even when errors are present.

I would highly recommend replacing that Corsair CX unit since it's not Haswell compatible and all your symptoms are pointing to the PSU. The CX units are having a fairly high failure rate, and were moved to Tier 4 on our PSU tier list to reflect that. They were never higher than tier 3 anyhow, and are well known to be problematic. I'd get a good 500w or higher Tier 1 or 2 unit.

PSU Tier list- http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

The Seasonic S12II-520 or M12II-520 would be good choices. Antec High current gamer and True power classic as well. EVGA B2, G2 or P2 units made by Super Flower are also very reliable.

The CX units use cheap capacitors, and you're issue definitely sounds like it could be related to capacitor failure.

Solution

Terillian

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015
I do have a case speaker, sorry, I worded that incorrectly. Meant to say it does not beep like it usually does, as it normally beeps on boot.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to order a 600w EVGA B2 tonight as that seemed to best fit my budget, and has good ratings. Hoping this fits as the solution to my problem. I'll post an update in the next few days.

I'll offer a prayer to the PSU Gods for you as well. :)

If it for any reason DOESN'T cure what ails you, let us know and we'll try our best to help you get to the bottom of it but it's difficult to eliminate the PSU as a potential cause with a questionable unit installed. If you had another good quality unit you could borrow, it would be useful to swap in in there first just to see if the issues disappear.