[SOLVED] Component history

J.P

Feb 17, 2021
Is there a way of finding out the history of pre-installed peripherals in my laptop?

Basically I want to find out if my workplaces 1Tb Samsung PCIe SSD has been swapped for a lower spec SSD.

I have my suspicions that the IT department has downgraded my laptop without telling me! :cautious:

An odd request, but hope someone can help.

Thanks

Solution
as far as i know there is no place on the system with such info. you can tell what you have now but a history of installed parts is not stored anywhere that would persist with a hdd swap.

the IT dept should have records of everything they did and would keep that info most likely. i doubt it was malicious so asking them would likely get the answer. they may have swapped it for a reason yet did not think through the effects it would have on your ability to work. that rarely gets considered in a med/large company in my experience.
Is this a system that went from the mfg. directly to you? Do you actually own the laptop or does it belong to a company? I'm assuming that this is the boot drive. Was it a fresh Windows install onto this drive or a copy? What was the reason for your IT dept. getting their hands on the system?

Even if you could find some circumstantial info (doubtful) it would only tell you that the drive was switched - not specifically that your IT dept. did it.

If the system was supposed to come with a particular drive and it didn't, refuse it and tell your IT dept. to ship it back to get the equipment that was actually ordered.

J.P

Feb 17, 2021
From product serial number in manufacturer website support page. Maybe they will send you a list of initial components. But why you are convinced that SSD is different?
As a CAD user my software performances has significantly been hit.
I had problems with the cache size and was surprised I was only running a 128gb ssd. I was under the impression it was 1tb.

J.P

Feb 17, 2021
Is this a system that went from the mfg. directly to you? Do you actually own the laptop or does it belong to a company? I'm assuming that this is the boot drive. Was it a fresh Windows install onto this drive or a copy? What was the reason for your IT dept. getting their hands on the system?

Even if you could find some circumstantial info (doubtful) it would only tell you that the drive was switched - not specifically that your IT dept. did it.

If the system was supposed to come with a particular drive and it didn't, refuse it and tell your IT dept. to ship it back to get the equipment that was actually ordered.

If the higher ups want an upgrade the IT guys usually nick components from the grunts without telling us.:(

Its not a big issue, just wondering if there is a way to identify previously installed components to satisfy my curiosity :)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
as far as i know there is no place on the system with such info. you can tell what you have now but a history of installed parts is not stored anywhere that would persist with a hdd swap.

the IT dept should have records of everything they did and would keep that info most likely. i doubt it was malicious so asking them would likely get the answer. they may have swapped it for a reason yet did not think through the effects it would have on your ability to work. that rarely gets considered in a med/large company in my experience.

Solution