Question Component recomendations

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

unlikelykiller

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
I had a Lenovo Legion PC with a i5 and 1660Ti. It wouldn't start (no fans/post), so I bought a Corsair RM650X thinking the PSU died. That didn't work, so I thought the power button on the case failed, so I bought a Corsair ICUE 4000X RGB Mid-Tower Case. Unfortunately, I cannot find any documentation on the Lenovo motherboard and I think they use some proprietary stuff that won't let me just install it into the new case.

As such, I will be building a new computer around the new PSU and Tower as well as the 1660Ti (at least temporarily). After a little research, it looks like the 7800X3D is imminently coming out and seems to be a good value. I have 0 intention of overclocking and would like to build the components reasonably cheap (if possible). If there's a component that is 10% slower but 50% cheaper, I would definitely be willing to make that sacrifice. Current uses would be Fusion 360 (cad software), Photoshop, Video Editing, and Gaming (mostly Fortnite). I'll upgrade my monitor from a 1080p when I get a new video card.

I last built a computer 10ish years ago, so I am really out of the loop as to compatibility/components, could I get your assistance?

Thanks

After a little research, it looks like the 7800X3D is imminently coming out and seems to be a good value. I have 0 intention of overclocking and would like to build the components reasonably cheap (if possible). If there's a component that is 10% slower but 50% cheaper, I would definitely be willing to make that sacrifice. Current uses would be Fusion 360 (cad software), Photoshop, Video Editing, and Gaming (mostly Fortnite). I'll upgrade my monitor from a 1080p when I get a new video card.
The 7800X3D is great at gaming and pretty much sucks at anything else. The extra cache has its drawbacks just like it did with the 5800X3D.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B31PwSpClk8

The x3d cpu's are designed for gaming. If you use your pc as a workstaion then an x3d chip is not the right choice.

For gaming, the x3d cpu's ARE the better choice from AMD over their non-x3d cpu's.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOi0aFLH9HE
That's pretty much what I posted. They're great for gaming but not so much for anything else. The OP posted the primary uses of his build and I even bolded them in the quote.

Last edited:
Thank you all for all of your assistance.

How much of a concern is the ram height?
Some coolers will overhang ram slots and tall heat spreaders can interfere.

Look at the specs drawing of the noctua NH-D15:
https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/specification
You can see that using the front fan can clear cleanly ram of up to 32mm high.
That is about the height of the corsair LPX ram.
For that reason, I suggested the Noctua NH-D15s which is a high compatibility version that is designed to work with only a middle fan.
Ram heat spreaders are mostly marketing. A place to hold rgb lights or such.
The heat spreaders on some ultra fast ram designed for overclocking may have some value.

Reactions: Why_Me