Component(s) starting to fail?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sly34me

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
Hello, I am having a few problems and I'm thinking they're all stemming from one area. I suspect it is the power supply, but would like to know if that is the case, if it could be something else, or if it is more than one part.

This problem started today, I was on the computer this morning at around 6 AM. I was on the computer for around an hour and everything was fine, as far as I could tell. Fast forward to 4PM and I start noticing some problems. I'm on the computer and I hear a power down noise from the case. This has never happened before and I was wondering which component it was. It happened again around two minutes later so I decide to turn off the computer, open the case and see what it is. I restart the computer after everything is set and it does it again after 20 minutes. I'm pretty sure it's the hard drive I have, as it wasn't the solid state drive and all the fans were still fine. So I disconnect the drive and was planning to use an external adapter on it, but I remember that I did not have it on hand so I could not try. I'm 95% sure this was the hard drive though. I then went to dinner with the computer off and just turned it back on. I was using it for around 5 minutes and my screen turned a complete washed-out yellow color. I waited around a minute and Windows says that the computer recovered from an error.. I decide to turn it off again and check the voltages in the bios. I'm not that spot on with knowing how stuff works, but I saw that the listing for the 5V was running at 4.2-4.5 and was in red. The other values were all lower than they should have been, the 12v, and the other two that I can't remember, they weren't red though. They were fluctuating a few tens of a number though, which I don't think it should do if it were fine.

I have now had the yellow screen four times, twice it was able to recover, twice it was not. I also just recently had a pinkish/purple screen that recovered and noted that windows encountered a serious error when it booted. I also tried to do a system restore to yesterday night when everything worked, and it did not work.

Any ideas, requests for further information or provision of logs and such?

Thanks if anyone could help, I think it is the power supply and hopefully not my video card. They both should be under warranty and this power supply is some junk one that came with the build, I don't have much trust in it. All parts aside from video card have been running fine for 4 months. The video card is around 2 months old.

victthoe

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
I am hopefully going to go to a local store around here to see if I can find a decent power supply tomorrow.
a14
k2.jpg

Sly34me

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012

That would be the case as I am using an SSD as my main OS drive. Do you think the fact of the 5V rail running at only 4.2V or lower would cause it to spew errors, and perhaps along with the yellow and pink screens?

Thanks for the help, hopefully it will be fine with a new power supply. :)

The video card runs off the 12 volt lines and should have less effect, But most SSD's list 5v +/- 5% so ~4.75v - 5.25v. Laptop hard drives also run off the 5v rail as well as ALL usb devices that are bus powered.

Do you have a chance to test with the onboard video by any chance? Your board seems to have VGA out. If you can test the card on another system, its a good idea too.

Sly34me

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
Sorry about responding a bit late, got caught up in a few things.

I replaced the power supply and everything seems to be working perfectly. The first boot still had the 'explorer has stopped responding' problem, but after I used system restore everything was fine. Thanks for everyones help.