Component Selection Help Needed

antondubek

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016
Hello all,

My first time actually posting on this forum after reading it relentlessly.

I am a university student in the UK and I am looking at buying a new machine to replace / upgrade my setup. I currently running a 2013 Mac Pro as my daily driver for all my uni work, editing work and other bits I use it for. I have it bootcamped with windows in order to run some of the essential modelling or simulation programs I need for my course (EEE). Along side this I have an old Dell XPS machine running as a Plex / Small FTP / backup / sometimes the odd Minecraft server for the house. The problem with this machine is that under any sort of load the fans are loud, the case cooling is awful and after taking it all apart and cleaning it / looking for a solution have pretty much given up on it. With all the issues with bootcamp mac and graphics driver etc I am also needing something to game on. I have always enjoyed consoles but feel that moving away from them to PC will be a much better idea for the future.

I am therefore looking for a PC which can replace the old Dell machine as a nice quiet server machine but can also has the power to run AAA titles.

Looking around I have seen many people building machines for around the £1000 using i5-6600K and GTX1070. This is a nice option I have seen however was struggling when it comes to motherboards and cases (out of my knowledge range) that are small form factor to not take up too much space but still enough room for 3-4 harddrives and can keep everything nice and cool under some heavy loads (ultrawide / 4K gaming).

Any suggestions to links to other builds or components or just your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£210.00 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£56.00 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£85.99 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£62.99 @ Novatech)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£85.48 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£59.38 @ YoYoTech)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card (£388.98 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Corsair Carbide 400Q ATX Mid Tower Case (£74.00 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£84.76 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £1107.58
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-26 17:49 BST+0100

Solution