Component selection recommendations and/or comments

Dennisjbl_787

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
I want to build my own custom PC. My needs are mainly working with CAD software, MATLAB and Ansys, and gaming on the side. I don't want a full fledge workstation, just one that can run the programs (I'm a college student). By budget is $1500 to $1800 (could push to $2000). I am also aiming for a White/black with blue illumination build.

The build (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JdcDFt)

CPU:
-I chose a i7-8700K over the 9700K because I dont think the extra $100 justifies the minimal increase in performance. I also dont want to break my bank with an i9 or a Xeon processor. I also think the programs i'll be running can benefit from the 6-core the 8700K offers, as well as the possibility for overclocking with a water cooler (nothing too excessive)

CPU cooler:
-Corsair - H100i Pro 75 CFM. I'm fairly new with the whole water cooling thing, so any recommendations here are more than welcomed.

Motherboard:
-MSI-B360 Gaming Artic. I wanted a motherboard that supported and M.2 ssd, and if possible, that was white. I think this one does a decent job.

Memory:
-T-Force Delta RGB 2x16GB 2666MHz. I want 32GB of RAM, not sure if I should go with 4-8GB sticks or 2 with 16GB. Also, not sure if that speed is adequate or if I should go higher.

Storage:
-970 EVO 500GB. Plan to install OS and the main programs here (like Ansys, Siemens NX, Matlab, etc.).
-Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM. To install games and other data.

GPU:
-Galax GTX 1070 TI EX-SNPR White. Would got for a GTX 1080 if I could find a reasonable priced one (I'm seeing them for $1000+ on NewEgg).

PSU:
-SeaSonic Prime SnowSilent 550W. I think I should go with a higher Wattage system if I plan to overclock.

Case:
-Corsair - Crystal 460X RGB White. I want a case with a good view to the inside of the case and good airflow.

Components don't need to be white, but it would be a plus if they are. I am also not concerned with noise too much as I will be using headphones while using the PC or not at home. Any recommendations like what components to change, remove or add are more than welcomed, as well as any comments on the build.

The I7-8700K tends to run hot. So I would upgrade the -Corsair - H100i to the H115i or H150i .

The I7-8700K is an unlocked processor. In order to overclock the processor you need a motherboard that is more suited to overclocking. I would suggest a Z370 motherboard. The B360 motherboard is more suited to a locked processor.

The only other suggestion would be increasing the 550 watt to 650 watt.

Dennisjbl_787

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
Wouldn't the case fans move air through the ram, or would that not be enough at all even if I'm not planning on overclocking the RAM?

No not really, they move air through the case. Generally with an air CPU cooler there is significant air flow over the RAM heat sinks. But with water cooling the fans are moved to the location of the radiators.

It probably will not be an issue unless you populate all four dimm slots.