Component upgrades or new system?

crizzah

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2013
Hey all,

I've read some similar posts that have already been "solved", but my setup just varies slightly from the other examples, so I decided just to reach out myself & find my own custom solution with your help. I've had some fps and other gpu issues with certain games I play (WoT, BF, Civ, Ark, Witcher, etc.) lately that has driven me to seriously consider an upgrade for my barely 3 year old machine: http://powerspec.com/systems/system_components.phtml?component=2144&selection=G188

CPU: i5 - 3570k
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
RAM: 8 GB (2x 4GB DDR3/1333)
HD: WD 2TB 7200 RPM
SSD: 120GB
GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 660ti
PSU: 500W (Allied SL-8500BTX)

I currently use a single monitor set-up, which is an older Samsung that I got a display model discount on from Best Buy waaaay back when. It can handle the 1080p 60Hz I currently play on. Once I get my rig situated, I would likely then look at a new monitor (or two?) that is something closer to 4k, depending on which system I go with & what it can handle.

I was considering simply purchasing another 660ti to SLI, but at this point, I would rather spend a little extra on a new GeForce GTX 1070 replacement. From reading the other posts, it sounds as if a simple GPU upgrade would work. I do not currently overclock my CPU, but I would be willing to try if it were necessary to avoid any bottlenecking issues. I would be a little hesitant though, as I have zero experience with something like that. I would also suspect that if I were to OC my CPU, and add the new 1070, I may also want to look at upgrading my PSU to something with more wattage and efficiency. It may also be helpful to note that I don't exactly have a budget (within reason), but will rather choose on a sliding scale between cost & quality. I'm a man who firmly believes that you get what you pay for, so I don't mind spending a little extra on something with higher quality or reliability, simply for the peace of mind.

So:
*Okay to just replace GPU? If so, any recommended models/brands?
*CPU Overclocking necessary? If so, any recommended guides/software so that I don't melt anything?
*PSU upgrade recommended? If so, how much more wattage should I look at?

From here I'll leave it to your opinions and recommendations, and thank you in advance for your knowledge, attention, and time.

Solution
Agreed. A new power supply and GPU and that system will be ready for the next several years.

The overclock will improve minimum frame rates on anything that is CPU bound. The GPU is basically going to set your maximum.

2560x1440 is a good resolution for a 27" monitor. 1920x1080 is not so good at 27", but great for 24". So your options are a 144Hz 1080p monitor at 24", a 27" 2560x1440 monitor at 60Hz (or more, but then G-sync becomes a good idea, and that starts getting expensive)

4K is a little beyond what the 1070 can handle. It will run it, but you won't be getting high frame rates at the highest settings. 1080 is a little better, but still rather expensive, and the 60FPS capable Titan X is $1200.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Their no reason to replace that processor. Overclock it to about 4.3/4.4 their a ton of guides for your exact motherboard (aftermarket CPU cooler is a must)
From their a GTX 1070, 2K resolution monitor if you wish.
Better quality power supply 550 Watts would do go for 650 if the price is really close.

crizzah

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2013

Thank you Zerk, I'll have to check the specifics on the CPU cooler when I get home. I remember thinking it is technicallly aftermarket, but could also be improved,.. and it's all fans, no liquid cooling. If I were to replace that, do you simply rip off the heatsink & reapply some thermal compound for the new one?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Agreed. A new power supply and GPU and that system will be ready for the next several years.

The overclock will improve minimum frame rates on anything that is CPU bound. The GPU is basically going to set your maximum.

2560x1440 is a good resolution for a 27" monitor. 1920x1080 is not so good at 27", but great for 24". So your options are a 144Hz 1080p monitor at 24", a 27" 2560x1440 monitor at 60Hz (or more, but then G-sync becomes a good idea, and that starts getting expensive)

4K is a little beyond what the 1070 can handle. It will run it, but you won't be getting high frame rates at the highest settings. 1080 is a little better, but still rather expensive, and the 60FPS capable Titan X is $1200.

Solution

crizzah

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2013

Thanks Eximo, good to know. You're right, I'm sure I would be a little overzealous in aiming for 4k. I'm sure 2k or QHD would suffice, but I likely won't make that call until I've made others. Which gives me plenty of time to decide between (I think?) 144 Hz at 24", or prettier 60 Hz at 27", and the extra $$$ that will entail.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
$199 24" 1920x1080@144hz: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/PmyFf7/acer-monitor-umfg6aab01

$252 24" 1920x1080@144hz: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/rkphP6/asus-monitor-vg248qe (popular)

$329 27" 2560x1440@60hz: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/YZn2FT/benq-monitor-gw2765ht

$479 FreeSync 27" 2560x1440@144hz: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/fMcMnQ/asus-monitor-mg278q

$600 G-Sync 27" 2560x1440@144hz: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/pPnG3C/acer-monitor-umhb0aaa02

$299 Cheapest 4K yet. Not really a recommendation, but things are looking up for 4K monitor prices.

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/Rk98TW/aoc-monitor-u2879vf

crizzah

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2013

After checking it all out this weekend, I've found that the existing cooler is nothing special, which led me to searching for a better aftermarket cooling solution as per your suggestion. A lot of folks have recommended the Hypercooler 212 in other posts, but I've also read a lot of reviews that contradict that for the IB i5-3570k. I'm one that would rather be safe than sorry, so I'd even consider liquid cooling (wherein Corsair has some affordability and decent reviews). Keep in mind that I'm an OC virgin, and I'm slightly suspect that I'm making a bigger deal out of this than I need to... at least I'm learning as I go :) But any further advise here would also be highly appreciated.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Actually have some relevant info here. I have had a Cooler Master 212 Evo in its box for several years. Broke it out on Friday as a temporary cooler for my system. i7-4770k at 4.3Ghz at ~1.3 volts. Keeps it below 70C from what I have seen so far.

Ivy Bridge should have roughly similar power output capabilities when overclocked.

Evo 212 is a great cooler for its price. There are better ones though, particularly coolers that are shorter and easier to install. Cryorig H7 is a popular alternative, when available. Xigmatek, BeQuiet also offer alternatives in that price range.

crizzah

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2013

Well thanks Eximo & Zerk, you've really helped me develop a plan for this. I'm going to go ahead and order a new CM Hyper 212 EVO (today) and a PSU (after a bit more research) so I can play around with the OC. Otherwise, I'll bide my time a bit and wait on a good deal on a decent 1070. I'd like to get all that installed & see how the OC'ed rig runs before committing to the pretty vs fps decision & biting down on a new monitor. I appreciate the suggestions and advice from both you guys, and perhaps I'll revisit the monitor issue again more thoroughly (around Black Friday?) with you guys here in the near future. Until then, thanks for your awesome counsel!

Update: I was actually about to pound the "Add to Cart" button, but a little voice told me to wait & measure it first. I'm very glad I did, as there's no way the CM Hyper 212 EVO would have fit in my Mid-Tower. I've decided to go with the CRYORIG H7 instead, which is 0.6" shorter, performs better (1-2C) and quieter at only $5 more.