[SOLVED] Components compatibility?

Aug 19, 2021
Greetings, my i5 4690 died today, while I am in the middle of important work. I wanted to upgrade to a new PC, so I need to do it fast in order to complete the important work.
My use case is: Gaming and Programming related work with the usage of multiple tools at the same time on 2 monitors.
I am not that familiar with the compatibility of components and I do not have much time to research because I need to buy them tomorrow, so I am asking for a piece of advice here.

The setup I'd like to build:
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x
  • RAM: Patriot Viper Steel Series Dual Channel PVS416G320C6K 2x8GB DDR4 3200 MHz
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO
  • Water cooling: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L V2 RGB MLW-D24M-A18PC-R2 (I would buy this later)
  • Storage: Patriot M.2 NVMe 1TB P300 2100MBs/1650MBs P300P1TBM28 (I would buy this later)
  • GPU: XFX RX 580 4GB (I already have this)
  • PSU: LC600H-12 V2.31 600W (I already have this)
  • Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB (I already have this)
  • Storage: Kingston A400 240 GB (I already have this)
  • Storage: Apacer PHANTER 240 GB (I already have this)

Are those components compatible and will they work fine?
To be more precise:
  • Will the CPU and RAM work normally (in full capacity) together
  • Will I be able to install the water cooling later?
  • The PSU should be powerful enough to handle this?
  • Will I be able to play games with decent FPS?

The budget is 600 €
Thank you very much!

Solution
Nothing critically wrong here.

B550 motherboard and a 5600X would be better, of course, depends what you want to spend.

3200Mhz memory is okay, but Ryzen performance scales well with memory speed, so a 3600Mhz kit is a good idea if possible.

CPU cooler supports AM4, so that will work. No mention of a case, so can't say if it will fit in what you have.

Can't vouch for the PSU, but if it has already been powering the RX580, no reason it can't continue to do so, but I think you should consider replacing it.

Yes, this will run games faster than your old CPU for the most part. A 5000 series part would do better, or you can look at Intel i5-11400 and the like, a lot more bang for the buck.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

B550 motherboard and a 5600X would be better, of course, depends what you want to spend.

3200Mhz memory is okay, but Ryzen performance scales well with memory speed, so a 3600Mhz kit is a good idea if possible.

CPU cooler supports AM4, so that will work. No mention of a case, so can't say if it will fit in what you have.

Can't vouch for the PSU, but if it has already been powering the RX580, no reason it can't continue to do so, but I think you should consider replacing it.

Yes, this will run games faster than your old CPU for the most part. A 5000 series part would do better, or you can look at Intel i5-11400 and the like, a lot more bang for the buck.

Solution

rakibfahadgts

Reputable
Aug 4, 2018
With 450 you'd have to run through some some updates which can break your motherboard if done wrong. Go with b550. Price difference isn't many if it's atx b450 vs matx b550. Also specially for AMD get 3600 MHz RAM. Afaik windows 11 will be benefited from higher clocked ram and AMD has always been sensitive about memory. One more point about windows 11 is that as b450 is older chipset it might not have TPM 2.0.

Aug 19, 2021

Thank you for your response.
Is MSI B550M MORTAR a good replacement for B450 Aorus? (B550 Aorus is not available here)
And Patriot DDR4 16GB 2x8GB 3600MHZ Viper RGB BLACK PVR416G360C8K should work fine with those?

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021
The psu is a big red flag. It's a 450w unit at best and a low quality one that should be replaced asap before it turns homicidal.

On the box, it says that it is 600 W, it has been powering RX 580 and 2 SSDs and 2 HDDs with no problems so far. I am planning to replace it anyway. Which one would you recommend?
I'm planning to add coolers to the case later, so that should be counted in.
Thanks.

Aug 19, 2021
With 450 you'd have to run through some some updates which can break your motherboard if done wrong. Go with b550. Price difference isn't many if it's atx b450 vs matx b550. Also specially for AMD get 3600 MHz RAM. Afaik windows 11 will be benefited from higher clocked ram and AMD has always been sensitive about memory. One more point about windows 11 is that as b450 is older chipset it might not have TPM 2.0.

Yeah, people have told me to avoid B450 because it can come with outdated bios, decided to go with B550, as I've mentioned in the other post, as Eximo also told me to go with B550, I just need to decide which B550 manufacturer.
By the way, I'm not interested in Windows 11, it is literally a 10 re-skin so Microsoft can milk out the people, I'm interested in doing Dual Boot Window 10 and vanilla Arch, Linux should not be a problem for the motherboard?

Last edited:

bignastyid

Titan
On the box, it says that it is 600 W, it has been powering RX 580 and 2 SSDs and 2 HDDs with no problems so far. I am planning to replace it anyway. Which one would you recommend?
I'm planning to add coolers to the case later, so that should be counted in.
Thanks.
That's false advertising, popular tactic among junk units. The 12v rail(s),most important in a modern psu, only has 450w rating.

A good 550w(or larger if you want room for future upgrades) psu is what you need.
Get a tier A or B unit.

Aug 19, 2021
That's false advertising, popular tactic among junk units. The 12v rail(s),most important in a modern psu, only has 450w rating.

A good 550w(or larger if you want room for future upgrades) psu is what you need.
Get a tier A or B unit.

Thanks.

Should I buy an MSI B550M MORTAR motherboard, since B550 Gaming X from Gigabyte has only 4 SATA ports, I need 6.
I think it should be compatible with other components.

rakibfahadgts

Reputable
Aug 4, 2018
Yeah, people have told me to avoid B450 because it can come with outdated bios, decided to go with B550, as I've mentioned in the other post, as Eximo also told me to go with B550, I just need to decide which B550 manufacturer.
By the way, I'm not interested in Windows 11, it is literally a 10 re-skin so Microsoft can milk out the people, I'm interested in doing Dual Boot Window 10 and vanilla Arch, Linux should not be a problem for the motherboard?
I've used 5 MSI motherboard for 15 years (currently using b460m fro MSI). Didn't have any issue. You can consider that. Although the RGB software is crap but I just set a lighting profile of my liking and then uninstall the software. If you have razer peripherals (which I have) you can sync your motherboard lighting with Razer chroma effect. MSI Dragon center has that option.