[SOLVED] Components for NZXT H1 case

Phantomas

Commendable
Nov 25, 2019
Hi everyone!

i want to buy a nzxt h1 case and build components in)

gpu i already have - asus rog 1660 Ti (normally it fits there in.....)

but issue comes when i have to decide witch platform to take AMD or Intel (im kinda "Intel boy", just because i had always Intel processors and i realize that AMD can be also super)
so i have two options (both are around 1k EUR):
socket 1151 core i7 9700F Coffee Lake-R processor, ASRock Z390 mini-ITX motherboard and G.Skill DDR4 3600 ram 32GB
or
socket AM4 AMD Ryzen 7 3800X, MSI MPG B550i mini-ITX motherboard and G.Skill DDR4 3200 ram 32GB
what is the best to take and why?
(im not a hardcore gamer, but i play almost everyday games like: StarCraft2, COD MW and Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order)

and one more thing.....:
there is a 140mm nzxt fan with no light, so i think to buy RGB one.....
should i also change airflow direction/fan position relative to the radiator?

i need your thoughts
thank u

Solution
My vote goes to Intel. Right now it's just as cheap and often easier to get ahold of a Z490 itx as it is amd itx mobo's. I waited impatiently for over 2 months to get an X570-I at its regular price, sold out an hour later, still on backorder for the late comers. You can get that board if you want to spend $500+ from Amazon 3rd party sellers, shipped from Japan.

The 10600k outperforms the 3700x.

RGB fans suck. Motor housings can only be so big, and the control pcb and wiring for the leds has to go somewhere, so rgb/argb fans with their funky clear/almost clear blades suffer performance loss as a result. They work... ok, for a case fan, but not so much as a rad fan.

It's an mITX build. Airflow in such tiny cases is a premium priority...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
My vote goes to Intel. Right now it's just as cheap and often easier to get ahold of a Z490 itx as it is amd itx mobo's. I waited impatiently for over 2 months to get an X570-I at its regular price, sold out an hour later, still on backorder for the late comers. You can get that board if you want to spend $500+ from Amazon 3rd party sellers, shipped from Japan.

The 10600k outperforms the 3700x.

RGB fans suck. Motor housings can only be so big, and the control pcb and wiring for the leds has to go somewhere, so rgb/argb fans with their funky clear/almost clear blades suffer performance loss as a result. They work... ok, for a case fan, but not so much as a rad fan.

It's an mITX build. Airflow in such tiny cases is a premium priority, far more important than a fancy light you don't need. There are very few options for fan mounting, you MUST optimize every available avenue. You could always stick argb strip in behind the glass, get better lighting and not affect performance. The only fans I'd recommend for that rad are from Noctua as they specialize in heatsink performance.

Last edited:
Solution
Hi everyone!

i want to buy a nzxt h1 case and build components in)

--- snip ----

socket 1151 core i7 9700F Coffee Lake-R processor, ASRock Z390 mini-ITX motherboard and G.Skill DDR4 3600 ram 32GB
or
socket AM4 AMD Ryzen 7 3800X, MSI MPG B550i mini-ITX motherboard and G.Skill DDR4 3200 ram 32GB
what is the best to take and why?
(im not a hardcore gamer, but i play almost everyday games like: StarCraft2, COD MW and Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order)

I would not buy either of those CPUs, especially to pair with a 1660 Ti for those very low spec games. I'd go with an i5 for Intel or an Ryzen 5 for AMD, you don't even need the higher spec versions of either, a CPU in the $150-200 range is just fine for gaming unless you are going to be tossing demanding new games at high resolutions and refresh rate and looking to play at near the top quality settings. Ryzen 5 3600 is just fine to use. Lowering RAM to 16 GB won't hurt you either.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The 10600k Is an i5 😉. It's @ $280 vrs 3600 $170, but amd x570 itx mobo's are not cheap by any standard. You've basically got 3 choices, the ASR which wasn't good, the gigabyte which is much better but not really better than the B450 boards, and the Asus strix. In the B450 itx, you get the msi option, but that has heat issues on VRM's since the bios isn't amd standard, but jacked up to pbo level 1 levels.

For such a confined space, I just feel the Intel offers options amd doesn't and it's ability to OC means tailoring without loosing performance.

Thermals are very important to that build, it follows a lot of the same design characteristics as the Phanteks Shift / X

The NZXT case is unique in that it comes with a aio cooler.
Love those ITX builds.
Your GTX1660ti is about a $400 card.
One rule of thumb for a balanced gamer is to budget 2x the cost of the processor.
By that metric, something in the $200 class would be appropriate.
If you have the option, I would go with current gen intel.
A i5-10100 is going to be a better performer than a 9400f.
I might spend a bit more for a i5-10600K.
Here is a review:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5-10600k-cpu-review

As to RGB, I am not much in favor of it, but tastes vary.
I would not alter the way the case was designed for cooling.
If you want some rgb, you can install strips inside. Current motherboards will all have rgb headers.

Phantomas

Commendable
Nov 25, 2019
ohhhh so hard to decide.....

amd version i see like : socket AM4 AMD Ryzen 7 3800X or Ryzen 5 3600XT
price difference 90eur, but i afraid of thermal issues with slim 140mm radiator, with strong processor, but really dont know what gets faster hot, ryzens ot intel i7s or i9s (my opinion i9 is overkill to buy)
i know i can try to find all thermal tests on youtube, but i would like to get my own experience
my thoughts 60%-40% to get amd based platrofm (also just because i wanna try amd setup, because i never had it, really dont know could it be stupid or not)

and also thinking about videocard, planning update later for something like 2070 than....