[SOLVED] Components Fried or Safe?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jcdomingo

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
So, my PC won't boot anymore; does a dead/faulty motherboard or CPU prevent it from recognizing all other components like RAM, and Graphics Card? My motherboard has a debug led indicator that pertains to the CPU its lit red, so I already suspected it could be the motherboard or the CPU. I'm already looking for an upgrade but I was wondering if all of my components like my Graphics Card and RAMs are still, ok? My GPUs rgb lights are off but the fans are still spinning but like at max same with the CPU fan cooler.

Solution
Well, the 12400F has slightly faster single core performance, but the 5600x has slightly better multicore performance. So it's kind of a toss up and honestly it probably depends on whether the specific games you play tend to be more single core oriented or if it's a game that does well utilizing several or many cores. Both will actually do fine so it might just come down to whichever configuration you can get for less money. On the Ryzen build if you drop down to a 5600G CPU which has close enough to the same performance as the 5600x, but costs about 67 dollars less, you can shave a few bucks off there if you needed to plus you'd get integrated graphics with the 5600G which you don't get with the 5600x.

That's kind of nice to have for...

jcdomingo

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
Well, that's good. I mean, narrows things down even more so makes it a lot more likely it's as we thought and probably MB or CPU.

As to the cooler, the 5600G comes with it's own cooler, but it's not a great option. It will keep the CPU from "overheating" but it is annoying, ramping up and down with regularity, and not allowing for as good of boost performance or boosting as long as with a better cooler.

What cooler do you have now because most cooler manufacturers will ship you an updated cooler bracket and backplate assembly if you have one of their coolers and the original purchase documentation or if you had registered it with them, for free. Otherwise, this would be a very good, inexpensive, but very well performing option. No other cooler under 30 bucks is going to perform as well and most of the ones under 40 probably won't either.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin X Refined SE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($22.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $22.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-21 13:27 EST-0500

If you want something that is budget friendly but offers even more performance than that one, there is also this, that offers super terrific performance, punching up into the the kind of performance you'd expect to only get from a much larger dual 140mm finstack cooler.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright...-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1
I'm really thankful for your elaborate replies. Now that I confirmed my GPU is working, I think it's also safe now to go for non-graphics CPUs. Yeah DeepCools website mentiond they would provide free brackets as long as theres proof of purchase for the CPU; but unfortunately, my version of Gammaxx 400 was the first ones that comes with two screws for the bracket pins unlike todays models with just one screw; So it's not compatible.

It's really hard to decide. If I go Amd, I can still use my old tower cooler and just change the bracket to AM4. But If I go Intel, that performance tho but I had pay extra for the cooler and the gigabyte b660m ds3h might hold it back too? Btw I'm only considering budget options with the graphics cards in the near future like a 3060ti/3070. I could also wait for budget/mid-range option of the 4000 series. I rarely play competitive games, Mostly triple A single player games. When it comes to work, I do coding, photo editing and rendering vray.

If I'm being honest, there isn't enough benefit from either of the two CPU models mentioned earlier, over the 5600G, to make them worth the extra money. If you're going to pay more than what that CPU costs, I'd recommend paying even a little more than that to get something that offers a real tangible jump in performance over the 5600G, like this.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z690 Steel Legend ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($171.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $411.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-21 14:40 EST-0500

Reactions: jcdomingo

jcdomingo

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
If I'm being honest, there isn't enough benefit from either of the two CPU models mentioned earlier, over the 5600G, to make them worth the extra money. If you're going to pay more than what that CPU costs, I'd recommend paying even a little more than that to get something that offers a real tangible jump in performance over the 5600G, like this.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z690 Steel Legend ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($171.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $411.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-21 14:40 EST-0500
Yeah that's like way past my budget limit of like $330/40. So in my case, the 5600G is the best bang for the buck?

jcdomingo

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
That's probably the best bang for the buck right now. But the 5600G is very close to that bang for even less bucks.
I just learned Ryzen Processors are keener to RAM speeds compared to Intel. Does my 2400mhz rams would the job or will it cripple the performance? If I opt for 3200mhz gosh that would make it more expensive than going for an i5-12400F; or would that be the case for intel as well? Is it really worth it to upgrade the RAMS? Should I?

Can I atleast overclock it? I saw some videos that it's possible like even from 2400mhz to 3200mhz even from a low-end mobo is it safe?

Last edited:
2400mhz to 3200mhz memory overclock? Lol, no. Not going to happen, not if you want it to be stable.

Yes, Ryzen is very receptive to performance gains from faster memory, so if you are inclined to sell your current kit and buy something in the 3200-3600mhz range, it's not a bad idea, but you can always swap the memory out for something faster after you build the system if you feel like you're not where you want to be. It doesn't have to be now, but it certainly CAN be.

I mean, EVERYTHING is receptive to faster memory, which is WHY there is faster memory. LOL. But Ryzen's infinity fabric might benefit from it a bit more than Intel, clocks being the same on the memory.

Even the 12400F is going to be somewhat crippled by 2400mhz memory but the difference in performance gains is probably not justified by the cost except that you probably CAN sell your 2400mhz kit to somebody to recoup some of the cost.

And memory isn't that expensive right now.

Unfortunately, prices have changed since this thread started and the 5600G is now like 120 bucks instead of 101. This is hardware these days. If you wait a day or a week, nothing is going to be the same as it was. That's simply the way things are now. Something that was 150 bucks last week might be 220 this week. Or could be 115. Either way, the cost is increased. But so is the cost of the 12400F. Keep in mind as well, PCPP only updates the prices every so often during the day, and while this still shows as 101 if you click through to Amazon it isn't. It's 120 bucks. But the 12400F is like 175 bucks now too.

The longer you wait, the more expensive things are going to get when it comes to graphics cards and CPUs, because they are in short supply and will get to be in even shorter supply as Christmas nears and stock is depleted. And it likely won't go back down for those models because new generation parts are already being manufactured which means supply is NOT going to get better for those parts and new generation parts are significantly more expensive than last gen parts, so that won't be an option for a while either.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($101.54 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B550M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($47.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $249.52
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-23 14:56 EST-0500