[SOLVED] Components Fried or Safe?

jcdomingo

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
So, my PC won't boot anymore; does a dead/faulty motherboard or CPU prevent it from recognizing all other components like RAM, and Graphics Card? My motherboard has a debug led indicator that pertains to the CPU its lit red, so I already suspected it could be the motherboard or the CPU. I'm already looking for an upgrade but I was wondering if all of my components like my Graphics Card and RAMs are still, ok? My GPUs rgb lights are off but the fans are still spinning but like at max same with the CPU fan cooler.

Solution
Well, the 12400F has slightly faster single core performance, but the 5600x has slightly better multicore performance. So it's kind of a toss up and honestly it probably depends on whether the specific games you play tend to be more single core oriented or if it's a game that does well utilizing several or many cores. Both will actually do fine so it might just come down to whichever configuration you can get for less money. On the Ryzen build if you drop down to a 5600G CPU which has close enough to the same performance as the 5600x, but costs about 67 dollars less, you can shave a few bucks off there if you needed to plus you'd get integrated graphics with the 5600G which you don't get with the 5600x.

That's kind of nice to have for...
Won't boot? Or won't POST? Does it power on AT ALL? What does it ACTUALLY do or doesn't do? Fans? Motherboard lights? CPU cooler spins? Is there a display signal but simply won't boot into Windows or are you getting no display signal at all, no POST, can't access BIOS, etc.?

Did something precipitate this change? Change hardware? Having problems before this? Weird behavior? Anything?

What are your FULL hardware specifications?

jcdomingo

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
Won't boot? Or won't POST? Does it power on AT ALL? What does it ACTUALLY do or doesn't do? Fans? Motherboard lights? CPU cooler spins? Is there a display signal but simply won't boot into Windows or are you getting no display signal at all, no POST, can't access BIOS, etc.?

Did something precipitate this change? Change hardware? Having problems before this? Weird behavior? Anything?

What are your FULL hardware specifications?
Yup It won't POST can't access BIOS - No Display from either GPU or Integrated. All the fans are spinning but I noticed it seemed to run at max speed.

Before it completely crashed, I noticed that every time I turn on my PC (from a complete shutdown), it always goes to BSOD but after the auto restart, it works fine without problems. (For a year)
then this happened. (The image is not mine, but my Issue is similar though it's a Game I was playing before it crashed) and it won't go away after several restarts. You can still use the PC normally but it's like you have transparent screenshot from the background.
image.png

Then moments later, my pc decided to shut itself and won't post/boot anymore.

Power off, switch the PSU off using the switch on the back of the PSU, pull the graphics card, completely, from the system, pull the CMOS battery for five minutes. During the five minutes press the case power button for about ten seconds. After the five minutes are up, reinstall the CMOS battery, connect the monitor to the motherboard display output, flip the switch on the power suppl back on . Then see if it will post.

jcdomingo

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
Power off, switch the PSU off using the switch on the back of the PSU, pull the graphics card, completely, from the system, pull the CMOS battery for five minutes. During the five minutes press the case power button for about ten seconds. After the five minutes are up, reinstall the CMOS battery, connect the monitor to the motherboard display output, flip the switch on the power suppl back on . Then see if it will post.
Nope still won't post. I also tried my friends RAMs still failed.

jcdomingo

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
I almost tried everything except for buying an audio beep code but I already have debug lights so it may not be necessary? Regards with my prior issues and the image above, what could be the culprit that may cause that?

No, using a different power supply and the problem going away suggests a problem with the power supply, not the motherboard. If the problem is with the motherboard it shouldn't matter what PSU you use, it should remain the same. At least, normally anyhow.

PSU is unlikely, but possible, to cause a CPU debug light and failure to POST. Even so, if you CAN borrow a known good, decent quality power supply that is 450w or higher, it couldn't really hurt just to rule that out.

But if it's not the PSU then it's almost got to be the motherboard. To start with that was a very low end budget board to begin with and now it has some miles on it. Plus, if there is no display with either the discreet graphics card or the integrated graphics, and if a different PSU doesn't fix it, and different memory didn't fix it, an unplugging all your drives or your monitor doesn't fix it, then all it can be is the motherboard or the CPU and the CPU is a long shot unless there are bent pins because they almost never just "fail" unless something happens to make them fail like a bad overclock with too much voltage, a short circuit or power surge of some kind, dropping the CPU, bent pins or overheating. Lacking any of that it starts looking even more like a motherboard problem.

Reactions: jcdomingo

jcdomingo

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
PSU is unlikely, but possible, to cause a CPU debug light and failure to POST. Even so, if you CAN borrow a known good, decent quality power supply that is 450w or higher, it couldn't really hurt just to rule that out.

But if it's not the PSU then it's almost got to be the motherboard. To start with that was a very low end budget board to begin with and now it has some miles on it. Plus, if there is no display with either the discreet graphics card or the integrated graphics, and if a different PSU doesn't fix it, and different memory didn't fix it, an unplugging all your drives or your monitor doesn't fix it, then all it can be is the motherboard or the CPU and the CPU is a long shot unless there are bent pins because they almost never just "fail" unless something happens to make them fail like a bad overclock with too much voltage, a short circuit or power surge of some kind, dropping the CPU, bent pins or overheating. Lacking any of that it starts looking even more like a motherboard problem.
I only overlocked it like 4.5Ghz whenever I do renders or playing some games and whenever I'm done, I revert it back to its base speed. I never experienced overheating issues or unstable issues. TBH like you said, it's old so I'm already looking for upgrades. But how likely/unlikely that my other components didn't get affected? Should I drop it to a repair shop to make sure or should I just continue my purchase and try the parts then on?

jcdomingo

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
I don't think I'd recommend paying a repair shop to find out what you can find out yourself once you get the parts for a new platform.
I guess there's no other way. Btw with the same price, which is a better option? Ryzen 5 5600x + MSI MAG B550M Mortar or an i5-12400F + a Gigabyte B660M DS3H? I know 12400F is a bit faster, but that motherboard might hold it back?

Well, the 12400F has slightly faster single core performance, but the 5600x has slightly better multicore performance. So it's kind of a toss up and honestly it probably depends on whether the specific games you play tend to be more single core oriented or if it's a game that does well utilizing several or many cores. Both will actually do fine so it might just come down to whichever configuration you can get for less money. On the Ryzen build if you drop down to a 5600G CPU which has close enough to the same performance as the 5600x, but costs about 67 dollars less, you can shave a few bucks off there if you needed to plus you'd get integrated graphics with the 5600G which you don't get with the 5600x.

That's kind of nice to have for troubleshooting or to use if something ever happens to the graphics card and you have to wait while it's getting replaced. At least the system is still usable that way. And it kind of makes it a better option than the 12400F too since that lacks any graphics as well.

I don't see the Mortar available anywhere, but this would make a very nice budget upgrade that still gets really good performance for the money. The 5600G will get significantly better single and multicore performance than your 8600k did.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($127.91 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B550M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $237.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-21 04:01 EST-0500

Solution

jcdomingo

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019

That's kind of nice to have for troubleshooting or to use if something ever happens to the graphics card and you have to wait while it's getting replaced. At least the system is still usable that way. And it kind of makes it a better option than the 12400F too since that lacks any graphics as well.

I don't see the Mortar available anywhere, but this would make a very nice budget upgrade that still gets really good performance for the money. The 5600G will get significantly better single and multicore performance than your 8600k did.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($127.91 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B550M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $237.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-21 04:01 EST-0500
Out of all the people I interacted with, you are the only one to actually recommended something taking also to consideration my circumstance with troubleshooting. One thing also to consider is I have to buy another tower cooler for the 1700 socket which my old tower cooler doesn't support anymore. I'm going to seriously consider a lot of things at this point.

I really appreciate the help and all the effort @Darkbreeze @Lafong. Especially Dark! Man, you're doing a great job out there helping clueless, lost souls like myself. Thank you for being a selfless, and a passionate person!

Well, that's good. I mean, narrows things down even more so makes it a lot more likely it's as we thought and probably MB or CPU.

As to the cooler, the 5600G comes with it's own cooler, but it's not a great option. It will keep the CPU from "overheating" but it is annoying, ramping up and down with regularity, and not allowing for as good of boost performance or boosting as long as with a better cooler.

What cooler do you have now because most cooler manufacturers will ship you an updated cooler bracket and backplate assembly if you have one of their coolers and the original purchase documentation or if you had registered it with them, for free. Otherwise, this would be a very good, inexpensive, but very well performing option. No other cooler under 30 bucks is going to perform as well and most of the ones under 40 probably won't either.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin X Refined SE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($22.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $22.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-21 13:27 EST-0500

If you want something that is budget friendly but offers even more performance than that one, there is also this, that offers super terrific performance, punching up into the the kind of performance you'd expect to only get from a much larger dual 140mm finstack cooler.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright...-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1