Components operating below 0 degrees C

Vulture_Dropper

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I'm about to build a PC which should run below 0 degrees. This pc will be mounted on an outdoor vehicule which will be used during Canadian winter.

Is there anything such? Where can i find such components?

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
+1 the cold in itself is no problem, but humidity and condensation can be a killer...

condensation doesnt occur when it 'warms up' - it occurs when warm moisture laden air contacts cold surfaces, so you need to make sure the case is watertight or remains in a constant environment.

What application are you using the PC for? if there is any way to mount it inside the vehicle and then use extensions to any i/o devices because that would make the entire thing more do-able

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
condensation will not be a problem as long as it remains at an ambient temperature, i don't think outside temperature changes will be too rapid. As long as it stays outside, the hdd may be the only potential problem in below zero weather.

Specs for HDD operational 0 -> 60 C. (fudge factor probably OK down to -5C)
As far as condensation, one problem is if you remove it and take it indoors you need to wait a couple of hours before powering on. Outside when powered on it will "heat itself" and since it is above ambient - no condensation inside.

You could mount a small thermo heater say 10 W (looks like a ribbon) inside the computer for added protection. Cheap method would be to mount one or two 12 volt auto bulb (instrument panel type) powered off a cigarette lighter.