rurpline

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
I have a gigabyte P55A UD3. I have a 1 TB SATA with Win 7. I wish to add a second drive with XP already installed. Is it possible to switch from one drive to another? From one OS to another? It's just that I have some old Cadd software on my XP drive I would love to utilize again.

Solution
The odds that itd going to work are not good. And without new install, I don't think there's any easier way to dual boot what you've got.
If the OS on Drive #2 supports the same motherboard chip set, maybe it'll boot. Once it boots, it may be possible to install the correct drivers for the (new) motherboard. If that works, it may still run slow. Finally, the OS on Drive #2 will likely need to be re-activated, a mechanical process that should go fine for you, as long as you don't move the drive back and forth between two PCs.

Googling variants of the title of this article:

http://michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

talk about other ways while protecting yourself against changes to your drive that might occur during the first boot from the XP drive.

You can just install Drive #2, disconnect Drive #1's cables, and boot up to try.

rurpline

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
If drive 2 does work with the new MB will it just be a matter of boot sequence to switch from one OS to another? Or is there an easier way to switch from drive to drive?

rurpline

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Ya I figured I might hear that. More than anything Id like to keep just the one program on the drive. I still have the old dell it was originally in. Maybe Ill fire it up and just deal with that slug pentium D.