Question Comptuer Shuts Off randomly

Apr 24, 2022
HI Folks:

I have just installed a COOLER MASTER SILENT PRO GOLD 1200w power supply into my Dell xps 8900 -- twice last night while using the computer and gaming, it just randomly shut off -- no warning, nothing in the logs, just boom gone. The power supply seems to be unduly hot -- once I was Iracing when it quit -- the other time using twinmotion to edit a 3d model. however, the CPU and graphics card temps are well wihin range -- 110 - 130 F -- does anyone have any suggestions?

TIM

Apr 24, 2022
Drop the side panel and see if the PSU temps come back in line.

That is a whole lot of PSU for that system. Any particular reason you went with so much wattage?

Case on those has very poor airflow.
The side panel is off and I have a little fan blowing on the PSU -- seems to have helped -- I went that directions b/c I got the powersupply from the recycler that services our company for 40 bux and it was what I could afford

Apr 24, 2022
It would seem to me, based on your other thread, that I would question those custom cables as has been pointed out by the poster there.
Right at the moment, the SATA is being supplied by an external power supply, so those custom cables are not connected, b/c the computer wont start with them in there --