CompuLab's "World's Smallest" PCs Finally Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

KonstantinDK

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
Well, someone has to ask - But, will it play CRYSIS?

[citation][nom]xurwin[/nom]so its this suppose to replace htpc's? think not[/citation]
Why not?

Guess that have not seen the Zotac offerings. Similar specs only slightly bigger and cheaper. Oh yeah, the remotes work.

I think I will stick to mITX for HTPC's since I can load up on hard drive space if needed or add a blu-ray reader if needed.

G

[citation][nom]iamtheking123[/nom]Don't bother giving us the overall dimensions TH....that would haven been helpful.[/citation]

By the looks of the USB ports, I would say maybe 7" x 7"?

G

What a terrible article. We not only don't get the actual dimensions, the picture contains no standard object to reference the size. This is like writing an piece on the worlds smallest man, and not telling his height or showing pictures of him next to something we would recognize.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
[citation][nom]Greedo[/nom]What a terrible article. We not only don't get the actual dimensions, the picture contains no standard object to reference the size. This is like writing an piece on the worlds smallest man, and not telling his height or showing pictures of him next to something we would recognize.[/citation]
"PALM SIZE"....(Look at your hand)... :D

Very cool, i've been thinking about building a pc for my car for years, and this would be a great alternative. Also I like southernshark's idea, buy one for the living room. You know, i'm not an ati fanboy, but i'd like to say that for what it is, this looks like a great buy. Definately considering buying one if not more. Hopefully they get the bugs worked out.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]KonstantinDK[/nom]Well, someone has to ask - But, will it play CRYSIS?Why not?[/citation]

Someone beat you to it, but the comment received a lot of negative votes. I'm guessing most just assumed it was some idiot spamming the comments.

[citation][nom]robertking82881[/nom]but will it play crysis?[/citation]

Legitimately, I too am honestly curious as to if this will play Crysis, BF3, MW3 or other games, alike.

I'm also curious to know if something like this is suitable for public machines, like at libraries, Internet cafe's and so forth. After all, the price is right, but what it all comes down to is machine lag after a full day's use of multi-tasking with multiple browser sessions and continuous use of MS Office products (mostly MS Word and then MS Excel to a lesser extent). Also, maybe a little bit of Adobe Photoshop. Where I work, these applications are installed on our computers, which are old and barely run, but they work. They aren't needed for gaming, though.

What would be sweet is a built-in TV tuner, or better yet, a built-in Ceton InfiniTV card, where you can just slip in a CableCard and turn this into a PVR (or is it DVR, I forget). I think this device alone is $299, so that would nearly double the cost of this machine in the lower end models.

Finally a personal computer that can be smuggled into prison, and ribbed too. No more worrying about it falling out when you squat and cough.

Seriously though, I could easily find room for this inside my xigmatek elysium. I could have a computer within a computer for when I just want to post on Tom's. (don't quote me and edit "post" to say "troll" and then say you fixed it for me)

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
[citation][nom]brickman[/nom]By the looks of the USB ports, I would say maybe 7" x 7"?[/citation]
[citation][nom]Greedo[/nom]What a terrible article. We not only don't get the actual dimensions, the picture contains no standard object to reference the size. This is like writing an piece on the worlds smallest man, and not telling his height or showing pictures of him next to something we would recognize.[/citation]
It's 6.3 x 6.3 x 0.98 inches

[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Someone beat you to it, but the comment received a lot of negative votes. I'm guessing most just assumed it was some idiot spamming the comments.Legitimately, I too am honestly curious as to if this will play Crysis, BF3, MW3 or other games, alike.I'm also curious to know if something like this is suitable for public machines, like at libraries, Internet cafe's and so forth.[/citation]Will this play Crysis? No. Look at the GPU specs-a 6320. If you look here you'll see how far below an 8800GT that is: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card-gaming-performance,3042-7.html
And you'll want at minimum an 8800 for Crysis.

Secondly, the price is not right. It's weaker than the $299 OEM desktop deals--these CPUs are very anemic and far shy of the performance of a decent Core 2 Duo/Athlon II.

When they start putting Llano CPUs in them so they can actually play games, then they're worth $500 maybe (although I've seen $449 laptops with Radeon 6620G's in them and laptops come with keyboard and screen). I honestly don't think they should cost more than the $299 netbooks with "Bobcat" CPUs since the lack of a screen should offset the small form factor cost.

Now I like the direction these systems are going as 90% of users don't need anything better than this--my Dad mostly only plays Civilization 4 and the rest of my family doesn't game at all. But these things should be more in the vein of the original Commodore64--a great price point for a system that includes everything you need with no peripherals. When you get them down to a $250 entry system and $500 for moderate gaming, they'll end up in every home and be the standard computer of the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.