Computer “flash starting”

masanori.espiritu

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
So, i have 2nd Gen INTEL Core i3 cpu, ASUS H61M-E mboard, INTELLIGENT 700w psu

...and the PC won’t start up. What i meant about the “FLASH STARTING” is that when I press the power switch a flash of power runs through the system and turns on in about 0.5 second and then the power goes off again. And if I wait a few seconds then it powers up again then off, still for about 0.5s.

I dunno what’s going on and I don’t understand this. Psu is new, the mboard is new tho the CPU is kinda 2 yrs old.

Also, does the motherboard power up or will I be able to access the BIOS without an installed CPU?

Help please. Thank you very much.

Solution
Strike the Corsair, the VS series is crap, a friend of mine did the mistake of actually buying it and it failed after 2 years. Then he got a warranty replacement and a few weeks ago (after only 1.5 years) it failed again.

The EVGA is only rated for 30°C, so if temperatures rise above that in summer, don't get it, otherwise it should be fine. The B series (B not BV) is a bit better and is also rated for 40°C.

Don't know the Deepcool, can't say much.

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
Sounds like a power delivery-related issue. Try removing the graphics card (if there is one in your build). If possible, you should try to get a different PSU to test the PC with.

On another note an i3 on it's own would never ever need as much as 700W(!) so you might want to reconsider getting a lower rated 400-450W PSU, eventually with higher build quality. Never heard of a company named "INTELLIGENT" manufacturing PSUs...

masanori.espiritu

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018

Hehe. Sorry just asking it hypothetically without cpu because i am curious as to what happens if i tried it. but I actually have cpu installed in there, the problem is same.

I am wondering how to eliminate which are faulty and which are not since both psu and mobo are brand new. But I don’t think that if the CPU is faulty it will not power up. I think something should power up maybe the fans or anything. I dunno.

masanori.espiritu

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
Hi ZRace,

About removing the GPU, I already did. Still same issue, the fans don’t even stay on (i guess it should even without the important components?)

I also tried another PSU with 600w cap to test but still same issue.

And about the 700W haha, yes maybe it was an overkill but i had a previous pre-built pc from a shop which also have an i3 and inno3D geforce GT240 1gb sddr3 gpu with 600W psu. And worked very well for me, For 5 yrs or so. I Honestly didn’t think that or come to mind that it will be an issue, will it?

It may well be the PSU - - heaven knows why you bought a brand name like "Intelligent" - - I've never heard of it
Buying that wasn't an "intelligent" thing to do - - lol.

PSU brand and model is very important.

I would start by replacing that rubbish PSU with a decent high-quality one which has a well-known brand name like "Corsair" or "Seasonic".

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017

While I agree, if he got a Corsair VS series PSU it would be rubbish too, so brand isn't everything. Seasonic and Super Flower are 99% good from my experience, with most other manufacturers having both good and bad PSUs (EVGA for example has the great SuperNova G3 series, but the B3 series failed during the TH test).

So let's shorten it:
PSU model is very important. :D

@OP: 600W worked fine on an i3 and a GT 240, that isn't a surprise, but it's still very overkill. See the above.

masanori.espiritu

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
Hi,

Thanks for your responses, it is probably settled then that the issue here is the “rubbish” PSU. Haha. I must admit tho, i did go cheap for this never thinking it will be an issue.

So, please help me what PSU would you recommend for my setup and with a tight budget?

Also, btw, i am planning to install a Zotac GF GTX 1050 mini so can you please consider it for ur recommendations? Thank you very much

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
Well, first of all, no used PSUs, but I believe/hope that much is obvious. On a budget, the newest revision of the Corsair CX series is decent, the CX450 is available for as little as 34$ on Newegg atm. There's also a CX450M if you want a modular PSU.

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
The 1050 pulls exactly 6W more power (75W) than a GT 240 under full load, so it should be completely fine. You could most probably even get a 1060 without running into problems. Wouldn't go bigger than that though.

ZRace

Commendable
May 12, 2017
Strike the Corsair, the VS series is crap, a friend of mine did the mistake of actually buying it and it failed after 2 years. Then he got a warranty replacement and a few weeks ago (after only 1.5 years) it failed again.

The EVGA is only rated for 30°C, so if temperatures rise above that in summer, don't get it, otherwise it should be fine. The B series (B not BV) is a bit better and is also rated for 40°C.

Don't know the Deepcool, can't say much.

Solution