Computer acting "helter-skelter"...driving me nuts...all help appreciated

stereoeggs

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
Hi, all….

Beginning approximately two months ago, my computer began acting in a different and “helter-skelter” manner that is absolutely driving me nuts! :(

My problem is this:

I have a dual-boot computer (Windows XP and Windows 7). When using Windows XP, there are no issues.

However, when using Windows 7…

First, a “ghost box” (that, in area, takes up approximately 1/8 to 1/6 of my monitor’s screen) randomly appears for a split second – it appears and disappears so quickly that I cannot read what it says. (Researching this online, advice given to other people experiencing a similar problem ranged from “don’t worry about it…it’s nothing” to “this could be evidence of malware on your computer.” Yet, malware and virus scans I’ve run on my computer have not turned up any problems.)

Second, the computer randomly shuts itself off – meaning it turns its power off. Most frequently this happens in ten minutes or less after my Windows opening screen appears, although sometimes it powers down after about an hour, and least frequently it powers down after it’s been running for up to a day and a half. To restart the computer, I have to physically turn off its power supply switch, wait at least 10 to 20 minutes, turn its power supply switch back on, and then push the computer’s “on” button.

Nothing I can detect seems to be causing the computer to power itself down. It does not seem to matter what I am doing on my computer, whether watching a video, surfing the Net, playing a game, or opening a file. However, roughly half of the time that the computer powers itself off, it does so precisely at the instant I left-click my mouse cursor on something on my screen, and it does not seem to matter what I am clicking on. But, again, this powering down when I click my mouse only happens roughly half of the time my computer powers itself off.

When I restart the computer, I am told that the computer has shut down abnormally, and I am asked if I want to start the computer normally or in some protected mode. I always choose to restart normally.

Things I have done to try to determine or fix the problem:

- I have researched online everything I could think of and tried every suggestion I found that did not include taking my computer’s hardware apart or reinstalling Windows (…“solutions” I would very much like to avoid if there is any alternative potential fix).
- I have monitored the computer’s temperature; and the CPU, motherboard, and graphics card do not seem to be overheating.
- There are no signs (that I can detect) that the computer is requiring more power than my power supply provides. (Also, my computer is plugged into a UPS – CyberPower 1285AVR, 1285VA/750W – that seems to be functioning properly.)
- I have run a complete virus and malware scan using fully-updated McAfee and Malwarebytes 2.0, and no virus or malware was found.
- I have also run a memory scan, which did not turn up any problems.

For both Windows XP mode and Windows 7 mode, I have all power options set such that the computer should never enter sleep mode, hibernate, or turn any component off. (After researching the issue on the Net, I used a command prompt in Windows 7 to specifically turn hibernate off.)

In Device Manager (under disk drives) disk 1 (volume G) is listed first. Disk 0 (volumes D, E, and C) is listed second. Disk 2 (volume H) is listed third. Could this be an issue?

Any suggestions or advice that could remedy this situation would be much appreciated – while I still have some of my sanity left(!)...especially suggestions that do not involve either me reinstalling software or taking my computer apart and reassembling it, component by component.

Thanks so very much for looking at this…and for any help you may be able to offer. :)

PS/ I wasn't sure in which category to post this. Does anyone think I should post this in a different category, such as "Systems"?

My computer consists of:

- Dual-boot Windows XP Professional 64-bit (with Service Pack 3) and Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (with Service Pack 1);
- Asus DDR3 2400 Intel LGA 2011 Motherboard P9X79-E WS;
- Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core Processor 3.6 GHz 10 MB Cache LGA 2011 - BX80619I73820;
- Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler;
- 4 x CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9;
- Mushkin MKNSSDRE1TB Reactor 1TB SATA III 6Gb 2.5inch SSD;
- Crucial M550 1TB SATA 2.5" 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive CT1024M550SSD1;
- Crucial M500 480GB SATA 2.5-Inch 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive CT480M500SSD1;
- MSI RX480 8GB GDDR5 Gaming X Twin Frozr VI graphics card;
- SeaSonic X-1050 ( SS-1050XM2 ) 1050W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready;
- Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case CC-9011030-WW

Solution
Hello... 1) Type Msconfig-Boot and post a IMG.
2) Either turn off the HARDARE devices in your MB BIO's (save&exit) or get the CD/MB/website drivers to eliminate the "Yellow" marks in your Device manager.
3) IF? all you have is kernal41 errors then you have a Hardware/Communications/power problem with your system/MB.
Hello... the Ghost Box could be a BIO's message? try putting your MB BIO"S into "Slow BOOT" mode for a chance to read it B /

I suggest Check your OS Event Viewer, for some clues for the Improper shut downs.

1) Do you have any RED or Yellow marks in your Control panel-Device manager?
2) kernel 41 errors mean the OS was not properly shut down... either by You OR the hardware.

Here is the Windows Event Viewer debug screen... You NEED to be logged on as administrator to the OS...

Right click computer-manage-System Tools-Event Viewer-Windows logs-system.... Click on the "RED" "Critical" errors, for more information... and files/drivers/Apps, comments/suggestions/information, General/Details associated with them B )

Expanding Window panes and Posting screen images from here will help us, help you faster... But copy and posting text will work too B )

stereoeggs

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

Hi, Ironsounds, thanks for your help.

First, as to the Ghost Box, it is not appearing during boot-up…it randomly appears while I’m using the computer to do things, such as surfing the Net, opening files, etc.; however, I don’t think it has ever appeared while I’m playing a game or viewing a video. I don’t know if these “boxes" have anything to do with my computer randomly powering itself down, but the “boxes" began appearing beforethe powering-down problem started.

I have been able to do a video screen-capture, slow down playback, and pause on several “Ghost Boxes” in order to read them. In the upper left-hand corner of each “box," in white capital letters against a black background, the several “boxes" I captured all say “NOT SANDBOXED.” However, in the upper-left border of each “box," there is a path that is different. The path in the border of the first “box" is:
C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe
(My computer powered off before I could copy additional paths, but I think the only difference in the paths is the “.exe” file name at the end of each path. I think all paths end in an “.exe” file name, but the file names are different.)

Second, in Device Manager, under “Other Devices,” there is a yellow box containing an exclamation point on two “Ethernet Controller” listings and on one “PCI Simple Communications Controller” listing. 
There are no red or other yellow marks in Device Manager. (Also, I am not using any Ethernet connections.)

Third, following your instructions to check the Event Viewer, I was able to copy the most recent eight “RED Critical errors” before my computer powered itself off again. They all seem to be the same “kernel 41” error, except with different time-stamps; so I’m posting below the text from just the most recent Critical event listed in the Event Viewer:

Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date:          10/24/2016 1:01:30 AM
Event ID:      41
Task Category: (63)
Level:         Critical
Keywords:      (2)
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      I7-3820QUAD
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
    <EventID>41</EventID>
    <Version>2</Version>
    <Level>1</Level>
    <Task>63</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-10-24T05:01:30.557605400Z" />
    <EventRecordID>591526</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>I7-3820QUAD</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
    <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Hello... 1) Type Msconfig-Boot and post a IMG.
2) Either turn off the HARDARE devices in your MB BIO's (save&exit) or get the CD/MB/website drivers to eliminate the "Yellow" marks in your Device manager.
3) IF? all you have is kernal41 errors then you have a Hardware/Communications/power problem with your system/MB.

Solution

stereoeggs

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

Hi...

1) When I typed "Msconfig-Boot" and hit Enter, "unrecognized command," or something similar, popped up; so I added a space before the hyphen (-) and entered "Msconfig -Boot," and a screen of options, including several drop-down tabs at the top, appeared. I don't know which option or tab you want me to open. I don't know what you want me to take a screenshot of...or what you want me to do next. (I know a little about computer technicalities, but not very much. :ouch: I pretty much need step-by-step instructions as to what to do and how to do it. Sorry....)

2) As to turning off the "HARDARE devices...," here is where I could also use some step-by-step, specific instructions on how to do what you suggest. Thanks.

3) I will continue to try to see if there are any other error codes – if my computer will stay on long enough for me to do so. (What kind of "communications" problem might this be?)

Just an update: My computer is now taking longer and longer to open Windows (even though my drives are all SSDs), and it is now sometimes powering itself off before I can even enter my Windows password. :(

Is there any possibility all of this could be due to some kind of virus or malware...and, if so, do you have any suggestions as to other things I can do to try and pin this down or fix the situation?

Thanks, again, for sharing your time and expertise with me. I'm very grateful.

stereoeggs

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
In ASUS UEFI Bios Utility, my “CHA_FAN1” and “CPU_OPT_FAN” are intermittently flashing red, even though RPMs seem relatively low at approximately 600 and 700 RPM, respectively. (I’ve never seen any fans flashing red before and am not sure what this means.) CPU temp is 36.0 degrees Celsius and MB is 33.0 degrees Celsius. Could this be part of the problem or point to what the problem is?

stereoeggs

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
Thanks for all the help, tips, and advice.

After a lot of time and thought, I decided to take the plunge and buy a new power supply so that I could verify whether or not my original one was faulty. After I put in the new power supply, my computer stopped crashing and everything has been running smoothly. So...it was a faulty power supply that was causing the problems.

As to awarding the "best solution," I gave it to Ironsounds because he/she was the only one to respond and he/she did put in some significant time suggesting things I could do to try and figure out the problem.

TRENDING THREADS