Sulerium

Honorable
Jan 1, 2017
System Specs:
CPU: i7-4790k
GPU: 5700XT
RAM: 16GB DDR3
Storage: 3TB WD Black

Okay so I don't know what's happened, but all of my processes are taking forever to load. I know its not the GPU because everything s running at a smooth 144hz and sometimes the responses from my computer are decent. But say if I try to open task manager, it won't work. After the most recent windows update I checked mschonfig and saw that somehow my 4 cores were locked to 1, after unlocking them it's still taking forever and my games are struggling.

Although I somehow just fixed the problem after numerous resets, is there any explanation from anyone for how this could have happened, even after unlocking my cores and resetting the PC numerous times.

Sulerium

Honorable
Jan 1, 2017
malware scan?
check cpu temp?
hdd health?
I couldn't check any of those if I wanted to until now, everything is normal. Both my CPU and HDD are just fine and it wasn't possible for my CPU to get the hot because it was happening immediately after turning on the system. Also, where could I get a free malware scan just to check?

DSzymborski

Titan
I couldn't check any of those if I wanted to until now, everything is normal. Both my CPU and HDD are just fine and it wasn't possible for my CPU to get the hot because it was happening immediately after turning on the system. Also, where could I get a free malware scan just to check?

How immediately is immediately? An uncooled CPU can hit shutdown temperature in seconds.

Sulerium

Honorable
Jan 1, 2017
How immediately is immediately? An uncooled CPU can hit shutdown temperature in seconds.

As soon as the OS has loaded up. When it started working again I checked the temp and it was 65c (so not bad) and when it wasn't working I could tell all the fans we're still running. It started to not work again and get bogged down until I reset the computer (which has now becomes common). So my presumption is that there's an issue with my OS or possible BIOS that's causing a conflicting preset.