Computer always freezes at startup

gatorguy89

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Hi guys, long time lurker who has used this forum to solve issues before so I am hoping you can assist me here. My problems initially started with a BSOD that BlueScreenView referred me to as a voltage shader driver error. My PC would boot like normal and run for about 5 minutes or so then freeze up and send the same BSOD. In the process of attempting to fix that a new issue came about that I need addressed; my PC always freezes right as Windows starts up, like immediately. Likewise when I reach the error recovery screen the PC will freeze when I try to select an option or when the timer runs out on "Start windows normally". Since then I have tried testing individual components, running with bare hardware, reseting BIOS, shorting the CMOS battery, and running a boot disc like Hiren's 15.2. Attempting to run the boot disc after the CD drive is made first boot device has the same instant freeze problem whenever I try to select an option. At this point I am a bit stuck, I am thinking it could be the PSU or maybe the CPU, but the PSU seems to run fine and the CPU shows no evidence of overheating (AMD x955 3.2ghz, PSU is BFG 1000W). For the initial voltage shader error, I have two AMD Radeon 6870's. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have fumbled with this for a few days no to no results.

gatorguy89

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
A few more details I forgot to add; I can boot to BIOS and everything works fine there with the exception that I can't change the date and time of CMOS, the +/- keys won't change that setting. I have two hard drives, the OS in on a 40GB OCZ SSD drive, last time I was able to access the computer for any amount of time it only had 500MB free even though I only have the OS on it and disabled recovery points as it was eating data before a while back. I cleaned it out some to create more space on it. The other hard drive is a 1TB Western Digital. 16GB (4x4gb) Ripjaw RAM, which seems to be working correctly. Any thing else you guys need from me information wise, please tell me. I would post the BSOD and other screenshots but I can't get past startup to do so.