[SOLVED] Computer appears to have died in a wierd way

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Maniac3020

Reputable
Feb 3, 2017
I was using my computer, when my monitors suddenly went black, accompanied by the windows 7 error sound. So I tried the key combo to put my computer to sleep. It appeared to work, the light was flashing, but the power button wouldn't do anything, nor the reset button. So I unplugged the computer. Now the power button still won't do anything. I can't get my computer to turn on. Any suggestions?
(I'm hoping the odd sequence of events can help pinpoint the problem)

Solution
I would consider replacing the PSU, as GPU's don't often just short circuit and go up in smoke by themselves. If you had replaced the GPU and everything was running fine no problems then ok maybe the PSU is fine but that doesn't sound like it is the case.

You could try a completely clean install of Windows to eliminate a software/Windows issue though
:eek::unsure: Well, it was working fine for a few days,b ut one afternoon, I found out many of my steam games crash when I attempt to run them. Many other games will run fine though. It's really confusing...
when moving on to a new series of GPU it is always recommended to totally remove all previous card's drivers, settings, game profiles, etc. running DDU should work.
also uninstall any manufacturer GPU control software.
then reinstall latest Nvidia drivers and EVGA X1 software.

i seriously doubt that you'd be this unlucky to get a replacement GPU that is also causing problems. it would lead me to believe that the earlier problems were being caused by something else.

did you ever check the system with a known properly functioning PSU?
did you ever try the other hardware recommendations listed earlier?

and also try a fresh install of Windows with the latest ASUS BIOS, ASUS system drivers, and ASUS software available.

Maniac3020

Reputable
Feb 3, 2017
The GPU shorted out when the power connectors were removed, and my new GPU worked fine for a few days.

Since making this thread, I downloaded a non-steam version of one of the programs that crashes, and it runs just fine, so... yeah.

Maniac3020

Reputable
Feb 3, 2017
After 6 days of troubleshooting, I finally found something that fixed the issue. Using system restore to reset my PC to a point before the issue started. I still don't know what was wrong, but as long as it works, I'm happy.