Question Computer artefacts when playing a game

solrac0192

Commendable
Feb 9, 2019
Whenever I booted up a game I got weird artefacts on screen. I was then given a BSOD and an Nvlddmkm.sys error along with Driver IRQL not less or equal. I then opened up my pc as I remember that I opened it a couple days ago and maybe I forgot to plug something in. I found that the GPU was not fully set in the PCIE slot. Before this, I reinstalled windows and the same artefacts happened. After I properly set the GPU into place, it worked fine in game with no artefacts until a day later it just shut off with the same error messages or whenever I made contact with the pc case. Now I can still play games but if I play for too long it will show the BSOD error again. Will I need to buy a new GPU?

solrac0192

Commendable
Feb 9, 2019
Hi. These are the specs:
10gb ram (1x4, 2x2x2 elpida and crucial)
Asus gtx 760 (1x8 pin)
I5 4460 (stock cooler)
Ga-h97m-d3h motherboard
Patriot Spark 128gb (os on this)
Seagate 500gb hdd (7200rpm)
WD blue 320gb (7200rpm)
Antec NSK4100 (case)
Corsair Cs650m 80% gold
--------------------------------
I dont know the age of all of the components, but I know that the psu is fairly new, the GPU would be quite old now, and for the others I have no idea. I have spare ram I could try if you think this is the problem.
--------------------------------------
The problem occured i'd say about a week ago. I went to open my case to show my brother and I may have bumped it or something because after reinstalling drivers 100 times and then reinstalling windows the same errors still showed. I then looked and the PCIE slot where the gpu is in had a little flap on the end that was not pressed down. I then pressed it donw and booted it and it worked for the day until the next day when the same problem occured, only now I could at least play a game for some very limited time before I got the BSOD again.
---------------------------------------

(maybe related maybe not my C Drive corrupted on me about a week before the gpu problems occured)

solrac0192

Commendable
Feb 9, 2019
The only physical problem I can see is that it slags a little bit. Everytime I have put the gpu into the motherboard it seemed to work fine without using much force.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Hi. These are the specs:
10gb ram (1x4, 2x2x2 elpida and crucial)
Asus gtx 760 (1x8 pin)
I5 4460 (stock cooler)
Ga-h97m-d3h motherboard
Patriot Spark 128gb (os on this)
Seagate 500gb hdd (7200rpm)
WD blue 320gb (7200rpm)
Antec NSK4100 (case)
Corsair Cs650m 80% gold
--------------------------------
I dont know the age of all of the components, but I know that the psu is fairly new, the GPU would be quite old now, and for the others I have no idea. I have spare ram I could try if you think this is the problem.
--------------------------------------
The problem occured i'd say about a week ago. I went to open my case to show my brother and I may have bumped it or something because after reinstalling drivers 100 times and then reinstalling windows the same errors still showed. I then looked and the PCIE slot where the gpu is in had a little flap on the end that was not pressed down. I then pressed it donw and booted it and it worked for the day until the next day when the same problem occured, only now I could at least play a game for some very limited time before I got the BSOD again.
---------------------------------------

(maybe related maybe not my C Drive corrupted on me about a week before the gpu problems occured)
1)Did ANY of those 2GB ram sticks come as a pair? If yes, remove the 2 that aren't in a pair.
If no, leave in the pair with the most identical specs.

2)Follow the steps in the link. They should help repair corrupted or missing Windows files: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

3)Buy a proper kit of 2x 8GB or 2x 4GB. I suspect your finally getting bitten for having mixed all that memory.

solrac0192

Commendable
Feb 9, 2019
I just booted my computer without the case on. It all worked fine in game so I tugged a little bit on my GPU and the same error happened. Does this mean the GPU needs to be replaced? I also tried to boot without mixing both brands and it came up with the same error