[SOLVED] Computer attempted to pair with my grandfather's cell phone without ever having done so before.

Ajfer03

Great
Jan 10, 2021
Hey all,

Haven't been on the forum for quite a while, but figured this would be this would be the best place to ask this question.

My computer is currently running the latest version of Windows via Auto-Update. Today, when I first booted up my computer, immediately at the logon screen, my grandfather's beat-up old flip phone began to make notification sounds. When I went to investigate, I saw the message: "Accept pairing request from POWERPC?" (That is my computer's name.) I hit no, I figured it was some ort of Bluetooth glitch. When i sat back down at my workstation, my computer brought up system settings and said: "Please confirm that PIN displayed here matches the one displayed or Kyocera *." (The model of my grandfather's phone. I declined once again, but this time on the PC.

Anyone know of what could cause this? Is there any type of malware that tries to spread through unsolicited BT connections? Never had this happen to me ever on any type of device.

Solution
the My Phone app shouldn't just randomly send a message to a phone to connect.

I assume grandfathers phone is on same WIFI or BT network? I had it set up on my old pc but it has never tried to just connect my pc to phone. Apart from linking photos to onedrive but thats an Android thing.

this is how to stop it but it doesn't appear to list phones, so its not overly useful
Settings -> Privacy -> Background apps -> Your Phone -> Off

also, its possible the connection is coming from mobile as either end can try to pair.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
My guess is probably at the end of a significant Windows update where the user is greeted with a screen saying 'Get even more out of Windows" is an option to link phone and pc. Something may have been clicked there. I don't think you're infected but running Malwarebytes would be a good idea anyway.

Ajfer03

Great
Jan 10, 2021
My guess is probably at the end of a significant Windows update where the user is greeted with a screen saying 'Get even more out of Windows" is an option to link phone and pc. Something may have been clicked there. I don't think you're infected but running Malwarebytes would be a good idea anyway.
Strange, I had already linked my S21 to my computer and I get all of my notifications on my pc. Its weird because it did this when I first turned it on and I was on the logon screen before I clicked anything. I didn't even hit a key on my keyboard.

Colif

Win 11 Master
the My Phone app shouldn't just randomly send a message to a phone to connect.

I assume grandfathers phone is on same WIFI or BT network? I had it set up on my old pc but it has never tried to just connect my pc to phone. Apart from linking photos to onedrive but thats an Android thing.

this is how to stop it but it doesn't appear to list phones, so its not overly useful
Settings -> Privacy -> Background apps -> Your Phone -> Off

also, its possible the connection is coming from mobile as either end can try to pair.

Last edited:
Solution