Computer attempting to update bios after restart

insanelyorange

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
After installing a game onto my computer i restarted it, my computer would then not boot.
A screen pops up after the bios menu saying "Begin to update back up bios to latest version"
Then "Writing BIOS Image" followed by several
periods. I have not attempted or have updated my BIOS in the past. I have already briged the
CLR_CMOS in an attempt to fix the problem, and it hasn't worked. I called NCIX (the people who built my computer) and they suggested I do a clean install of windows 7, and then update my bios if necissary.

Anymore ideas?

How would I go about updating my BIOS?

Thanks

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I’m no expert here with this kind of issue but I’ll give it ago.

No game will ever attempt to update bios unless of course the game is pirated with a virus.

I find it unlikely but not impossible a virus could try to affect the bios. What’s more concerning is something is trying to update your backup bios. Gigabyte use dual bios configuration as a safeguard if updating primary bios goes wrong. It should be pretty difficult to update the backup bios so you might be in luck.

It seems NCIX are aware you might have a virus attempting to infect your bios. It would be a good idea to reinstall windows.

Take out the cmos battery and leave it for a good minute.

Try restoring your windows to a date before you installed the game, either through the cd or booting into windows.

insanelyorange

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011

Taking out the watch battery for a few minutes and putting it back in seemed to have given me a temporary fix. Thought I fixed it at the time, turned my PC off last night and awoke to the same message. Tried the watch battery method again, but didn't work. Going to leave it out longer this time in hopes of it working.
Unfortunately I don't have my windows CD, nor do I want to do a clean install of windows. I'll try and avoid that as long as possible. What I'm planning on doing is this:

1. Get my computer to load windows and get into my Account.
2. Sweep my computer for viruses
3. Clean it of viruses
4. Find out my BIOS version
5.Download latest BIOS
6. Copy some of my stuff (game saves, pics,ect.)
7. Restart and hope for the best.

If that doesn't work I'm going to Q-Flash my BOIS, I've read the manual for my mobo and it looks pretty simple. But if I can't get past step 1, I don't know what my motherboard BIOS Version is. On the box on a sticker, it says "New AM3+ CPU BIOS Installed". I looked on the website and that version is F6, and there is a newer one, F7. So, im gonna try F7 and hope for the best.

So far, the Watch battery method has not worked, gonna try one last time then im gonna just Q-flash it.

More suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

EDIT: I found my windows disc, tried to boot from disk but the message still appears. Even if i did try to do a clean install right now the message would probably come back during the process since windows restarts several times when installing the OS.

insanelyorange

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Alright, It seems I have a virus on my computer. I was browsing the deepweb a few days ago which might be the problem. I was only using TOR to hide my IP so looks like im going to have to find a way to wipe that drive and start fresh. I was able to get back onto my computer and scanned it with shaw secure, it came up with nothing. Then as I was uninstalling my game it logged me off and shut down the computer. But before it shut down it said "configuring windows update" I have not installed any updates on my PC recently. Also, the "hidden icons" on windows 7 are missing. I was also playing music and it stuttered every once and a while. Seems I'm going to have to Do a clean install some how. Gonna post a new thread on this.

insanelyorange

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011

I no longer know what to do. I have owned this computer for 3 months maybe a little more, and all of a sudden this happens. I have updated my BIOS from F6 to F7 Successfully after I re installed windows, and still I get the message. I see other people have had these problems in the past:

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=8000.0

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/39266-annoying-startup-bios-issue.html

But are on newer builds.

PC Specs again:

CPU: AMD Phenom X4 955 @3.2Ghz
RAM: Patriot 8GB 1600
Mobo: Gigabyte 970A-D3
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon 6870 Windforce
PSU: 620W antec.

Someone please help me, might have to resort to taking it to a computer repair shop.

You said it worked out when you removed the battery from the mobo for a while. That will reset the CMOS and load the BIOS defaults. Do not allow any updates to the BIOS that you did not initiate.
However, the virus still resides on the HDD, and upon reloading the OS it takes you back to square one. Your best bet is to do a HDD zeroing (simple formatting will not work) and then re-install everything from scratch. If you need details hit us back.
You do not need to take the PC to a shop, they'll do exactly this and charge you for it, as well.

insanelyorange

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011

More information on this would be nice. I also don't have another Power Supply to test this on, still not sure if it's a virus.

I personally use Killdisk to wipe my HDD when they need it. you can go on their website (Google it, it should be right up there), download it and make a bootable CD with their program - they have detailed instructions. Better to do it on a different PC, to avoid the infected one being online and doing again some BIOS stuff without your permission.
Then, reboot this system from that CD and go with the free version option - that allows you to do only one thing, which is a one-pass zeroing. Go with the steps (make sure you select the correct HDD/partition for wiping, if you have more than one) and let it run it's course. Then, proceed with the battery trick (remove it for a while, a long while) and reinstall OS after that.

TRENDING THREADS