Question Computer audio can be heard through my mic

Alex123lel

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
I have a headset that uses a TRRS 3.5mm jack for both headphone and mic usage and to connect it to the computer I use a splitter (3.5mm jack female to two 3.55mm jack male, mic and headphones). Using the front panel connectors causes the problem in the title, switching to the back panel connectors fixed this issue, though now that I got an extender (3.55mm jack female-male TRRS) this issue is showing up again. Basically, I got it set up as follows: back panel -> splitter -> extender -> headphones. I have already bought 2 different extender cables but the issue persists, is there something I can do? Will a jack female to usb-a male cable work? Anything software-side I can do? I know that a soundcard would definitely help but it is out of my budget right now. Thanks in advance.

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your case? Make and model of your headset and the splitter used? You can parse a link to the audio equipment, mind you. I don't think it's to do with the extenders. Your splitter might be plugged in the wrong way on the front panel of your case or you're internal motherboard header for the front panel audio ports is reversed.

Alex123lel

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
Case: Cougar MX330-G
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro
Headset: JBL Quantum 100
I got the splitter from a friend so I don't really know which one it is, manufacturer is MSI.
It is surely plugged in correctly and the motherboard connectors should be fine. The connections being flipped does not explain the fact that without the extender, connected to the back panel, everything is fine (tested it by playing a video at full volume and nothing could be heard through my mic), whereas when adding the extender, whatever I hear echoes back to my microphone. It sound like I'm playing the sounds through my phone and placing it close to the mic.

Alex123lel

Reputable
Aug 8, 2019
The extender cable is exactly the same with the headset cable, the only difference is the color of the rings but I'm pretty sure that it does not make a difference. Without the extender computer audio cannot be heard through my mic so it must be the extender's fault, or the extender in combination with the splitter causes the problem.

Nice Nicer

Commendable
May 24, 2021
I don't fully understand the question.

Computer audio can be heard through your headset, that has a microphone. Do you mean the microphone is making noises , when you play a sound on your pc ? Or do you hear system sounds although you only want to record your voice ( that's how I understood the question at first ) ?