Question Computer audio stopped working suddenly

Aug 21, 2021
[Sorry if this is the wrong community to post in, there just didn't seem to be a dedicate one for audio]

Hi, I was playing a game (Kingdom Rush for PC) and took a Steam screenshot at the exact same time as a jingle usually plays, and all of a sudden the sound cut out on my computer. I turned it off and left it for a while, then turned it back on, and the problem persisted. I switched from my headphones (Razer Kraken Kitty) to my desktop speakers and there was still no sound, so I believe the problem is to do with my computer. Also, I ran the "Troubleshoot sound problems" program, which reinstalled drivers, but there is still no sound. Finally, I restarted my computer again, with my headphones unplugged, and there was still no sound on either my speakers or my headphones, once I plugged them back in again. Also, trying to play a song in Spotify results in an error saying "Spotify can't play this right now." Going into Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Sound/Properties/Advanced and trying to play the test tone also results in a pop-up error saying "Failed to play test tone."

What should I do?

[Sorry if this is the wrong community to post in, there just didn't seem to be a dedicate one for audio]

Hi, I was playing a game (Kingdom Rush for PC) and took a Steam screenshot at the exact same time as a jingle usually plays, and all of a sudden the sound cut out on my computer. I turned it off and left it for a while, then turned it back on, and the problem persisted. I switched from my headphones (Razer Kraken Kitty) to my desktop speakers and there was still no sound, so I believe the problem is to do with my computer. Also, I ran the "Troubleshoot sound problems" program, which reinstalled drivers, but there is still no sound. Finally, I restarted my computer again, with my headphones unplugged, and there was still no sound on either my speakers or my headphones, once I plugged them back in again. Also, trying to play a song in Spotify results in an error saying "Spotify can't play this right now." Going into Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Sound/Properties/Advanced and trying to play the test tone also results in a pop-up error saying "Failed to play test tone."

What should I do?
Did you check in Device Manager ?

TRENDING THREADS