[SOLVED] Computer Automatically Restarts With Specific Games (seemingly highly intensive games) And Not With Others

Apr 24, 2021
Hi all,

Recently, I purchased a prebuilt computer from CyberPower and it has been working pretty well until recently. I got the computer in mid-January and I had no problems playing any games at the time. However, yesterday, I redownloaded Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and noticed that when I tried to open the game, within a few seconds, my screens would automatically shut off and my computer would restart. I tried opening the game multiple times and the same problem occurred. I gave up and then tried playing a different game, Dauntless. The same problem occurred where within the first few seconds of opening the game, my computer restarted. However, this is not the case with all games. Games like Valorant, Overwatch, OSU, Minecraft, Bloons Tower Defense 6, and Aim Labs all work without any problems. I have noticed that all the games that work are more CPU intensive and less graphic intensive in general and the games that I mentioned that crashed are more GPU intensive with much better and intense graphics.

Also, after I realized this problem started to happen, there was an orange light that appeared next to my power button, which is normally blue. The orange light also flickers on and off and would sometimes stay off for an extended period of time and stay on for an extended period of time (usually anywhere from 5-15 seconds long) and then come back. I was maybe thinking this was a power supply issue, but I am not completely sure because this has never happened to me before.

I have already tried to update my graphics drivers, revert to an older version of my graphics drivers, update windows, uninstall and reinstall the games, and unplugging the power and letting it sit for awhile and then replugging it and turning it back on. My temperatures are not overheating either and it doesn't seem like there are any issues with heating in general with my GPU. It never really goes above 75 degrees celsius ever, which is still well within expected ranges.

Specs:

Case: CyberPowerPC ONYXIA Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ USB 3.0, Front & Side Tempered Glass
CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600X 3.7GHz [4.6GHz Turbo] 6 Cores/ 12 Threads 35MB Total Cache 65W
GPU: AMD Radeon™ RX 6800 XT 16GB GDDR6 Video Card
Fan: Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240L V2 240mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler with Copper Cold Plate
HDD: 240GB WD Green SSD + Seagate 2TB SATA III Hard Drive
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3200MHz Dual Channel Memory
MOBO: ASUS TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (Wi-Fi) ATX w/ RGB, Realtek LAN, 2 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 8 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe
PSU: 800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Gold Certified Power Supply

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you all for your time.

Solution
If running two GPUS, I would pick something off the list. Toms hardware and Linus both have lists.

Article - PSU tier list [psucultists]
PSU Tier List 4.0 rev. 14.7 Last Update: 25-03-2021 Legend : Gray - EoL/obsolete and/or generally not recommended for purchase. Green - small form-factor (gold and blue colors are disregarded due to scarcity of SFX PSUs) Gold - best units in the tier (includes requirements for blue color in...
forums.tomshardware.com

[psucultists] PSU Tier List
PSU Tier List 4.0 rev. 14.7 Last Update: 28-03-2021 Legend : Gray - EoL/obsolete and/or generally not recommended for purchase. Green - small form-factor (gold and blue colors are disregarded due to scarcity of SFX PSUs) Gold - best...

sonofjesse

Distinguished
Since you just purchased the PC, instead of posting here, I would highly encourage you to contact cyberpower and use their customer service to resolve your issue.

Normally a restart is bad power supply, or bad ram, in my experience its 9 .5 times out of 10 the power supply.

They will most likely have you ship the PC back in.

Good luck!!

USAFRet

Titan
Since you just purchased the PC, instead of posting here, I would highly encourage you to contact cyberpower and use their customer service to resolve your issue.

Normally a restart is bad power supply, or bad ram, in my experience its 9 .5 times out of 10 the power supply.

They will most likely have you ship the PC back in.

Good luck!!
Normally, contacting the manufacturer is a good idea.
This being CyberPower, however...

Read closely into their warranty rules.

Reactions: MrOkaasan
Apr 24, 2021
Hi guys, thanks for all your replies. I have already contacted CyberPower and am waiting on their reply. I don't know when they will reply but I will let you know if they end up responding soon. If it is a power supply issue and they do not allow me to replace it for some reason, which power supply do you guys recommend me to purchase to replace it?

sonofjesse

Distinguished
If running two GPUS, I would pick something off the list. Toms hardware and Linus both have lists.

Article - PSU tier list [psucultists]
PSU Tier List 4.0 rev. 14.7 Last Update: 25-03-2021 Legend : Gray - EoL/obsolete and/or generally not recommended for purchase. Green - small form-factor (gold and blue colors are disregarded due to scarcity of SFX PSUs) Gold - best units in the tier (includes requirements for blue color in...
forums.tomshardware.com

[psucultists] PSU Tier List
PSU Tier List 4.0 rev. 14.7 Last Update: 28-03-2021 Legend : Gray - EoL/obsolete and/or generally not recommended for purchase. Green - small form-factor (gold and blue colors are disregarded due to scarcity of SFX PSUs) Gold - best units in the tier (includes requirements for blue color in tier ...
linustechtips.com

Get the best tier you can afford. I really like the HXI and P2's

Solution