[SOLVED] Computer becomes unstable after setting it on asus optimal mode

mladjan2018

Prominent
Feb 19, 2018
I know it wasn't good idea to overclock computer with stock cooling from 3.1 to kinda 3.9 ghz but i was like "Hey, its just UEFI setting, what could go wrong?". Damn, that was hella dumb.
So lets have a look at what my smart ass did.
I got in the uefi settings and on Ez mode settings (i think asus call it like that) i found that magical thing. There was like energy saving one, normal and performance one. So you probably know what come next.
After setting it on performance and finding out that it makes computer unstable, i tried to get it back on normal. Unfortunately, it's still unstable.

My rig:
A8-9600
4GB 2400MHz
ASUS A320M-K
600W Chieftec PSU

Solution
Well you haven't said what speed your ram is rated at. So I'll guess at 3200. Ddr4 defaults to 2133. Xmp is Intel eXtreme Memory Profile. What that does is change your ram from running at 2133MHz to 3200 MHz. It's a predetermined setting your ram is supposed to be at with timing, speed and voltage optimums. Kinda like enabling turbo for ram. So look at the main page and see what your ram is at in the info box up top. Under that somewhere will be a box for changing xmp. Usually your options are disabled or profile #1. You'd choose profile #1, hit F10 to save, then reboot back to bios. In the info box, your ram should be now running at its correct speed of 3200MHz not the default 2133MHz.

You can also do other things like enable/disable...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Clear the CMOS.
Either from BIOS or shut down your PC, pull the CMOS battery from MoBo, wait 5 mins (15 mins for good measure), put the CMOS battery back to your MoBo, start your PC.

What clearing CMOS does, is that it will revert all BIOS changes back to the factory default.

Reactions: mladjan2018

mladjan2018

Prominent
Feb 19, 2018
Clear the CMOS.
Either from BIOS or shut down your PC, pull the CMOS battery from MoBo, wait 5 mins (15 mins for good measure), put the CMOS battery back to your MoBo, start your PC.

What clearing CMOS does, is that it will revert all BIOS changes back to the factory default.
oh thank you gonna do that right now

mladjan2018

Prominent
Feb 19, 2018
w
With Asus bios, it's usually F5 to reset the bios to factory optimal settings. Just make sure the AI Overclock Tuner is set for XMP cux that reset will also stick your ram back to nominal settings, not rated speed settings.
what do you mean by not rated speed settings, and how can i set overclock tuner to xmp?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Well you haven't said what speed your ram is rated at. So I'll guess at 3200. Ddr4 defaults to 2133. Xmp is Intel eXtreme Memory Profile. What that does is change your ram from running at 2133MHz to 3200 MHz. It's a predetermined setting your ram is supposed to be at with timing, speed and voltage optimums. Kinda like enabling turbo for ram. So look at the main page and see what your ram is at in the info box up top. Under that somewhere will be a box for changing xmp. Usually your options are disabled or profile #1. You'd choose profile #1, hit F10 to save, then reboot back to bios. In the info box, your ram should be now running at its correct speed of 3200MHz not the default 2133MHz.

You can also do other things like enable/disable multicore enhancement etc. I'd give serious thought to really reading up on the AI Overclock Tuner, it's intelligent programming that looks at your usage, loads, temps, voltages etc and streamlines all that for optimum stability at whatever settings you choose like faster cpu speeds etc.

Solution