Computer beeps 3 times after turning it on

soonersox

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I have a MSI K9A2 Platinum motherboard and for quite some time now, after turning the computer on but before it loads windows I hear 3 beeps (more like 2 short beeps followed by a "budunk" if that makes any sense) from the pc speaker. I don't recall hearing those when I first put it together and a friend has the same motherboard and gets no beeping. Everything seems to be working properly but I can't help but think that the beep code is trying to tell me something is amiss.

I thought it might indicate an issue with the memory or video card (I was using 2 cards in crossfire) so I have tried multiple configurations with the RAM (8Gb in 4, 2Gb sticks) Whereby I tried rearranging the RAM into different slots, removing 2 sticks at a time (I tried this with all 4 sticks leaving 2 in). I removed the video cards and swapped slots and tried it with just 1 video card in each of the x16 slots. After all that I still got the beep, beep, budunk after every test.

I have been told to just not worry about it since I am not really experiencing any problems but I am having trouble doing that and wonder if anyone can give me an idea on why I am getting that code.

Solution
Beep Codes -

Ami Bios : 2 short beeps = Your computer has memory problems. First check video. If video is working, you'll see an error message. If not, you have a parity error in your first 64K of memory. First check your SIMM's. Reseat them and reboot. If this doesn't do it, the memory chips may be bad. You can try switching the first and second banks memory chips. First banks are the memory banks that your CPU finds its first 64K of base memory in. You'll need to consult your manual to see which bank is first. If all your memory tests good, you probably need to buy another motherboard.

Phoenix Bios : Any combo of beeps after two means that some of your memory is bad, and unless you want to get real technical, you should probably...
Beep Codes -

Ami Bios : 2 short beeps = Your computer has memory problems. First check video. If video is working, you'll see an error message. If not, you have a parity error in your first 64K of memory. First check your SIMM's. Reseat them and reboot. If this doesn't do it, the memory chips may be bad. You can try switching the first and second banks memory chips. First banks are the memory banks that your CPU finds its first 64K of base memory in. You'll need to consult your manual to see which bank is first. If all your memory tests good, you probably need to buy another motherboard.

Phoenix Bios : Any combo of beeps after two means that some of your memory is bad, and unless you want to get real technical, you should probably have the guys in the lab coats test the memory for you. Take it to the shop.

Award Bios : Unfortunately there are many versions of the Award BIOS, and they are supported not by one company, but by the motherboard maker. Award's website states "Award Software software products are sold to a board or system manufacturer ("hardware vendor"), who customizes them further before selling the system. Award Software cannot supply upgrades for a BIOS that has been subsequently modified by hardware vendors."

SO it would seem that the 2 short beeps is telling you there is some sort of memory problem !

Solution

soonersox

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
This motherboard has AMI bios I switched the RAM around so I thought I had convinced myself that the RAM wasn't the problem but I guess that might mean the motherboard is the culprit. But since it is working it may just be something I'll have to learn to ignore.