Question Computer beeps, slows to crawl

drewmeister11

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
In the past few months, my computer has been experiencing a problem where it will slow to a crawl and start beeping at me. This lasts for anywhere between 10-40 seconds, after which it returns to normal. I'm not sure what is causing it exactly, or how to fix it. For clarification, the sound comes through the headset or speakers, not the computer itself. This can happen anytime, and regardless of if I'm playing games or just surfing the internet, my fps drops to about 1-3 per second.

I took screenshots of the task manager's performance monitor during those times and planned to upload them here, but it seems I can only upload them from a website for some reason. What they show is that the CPU is running fine, then for whatever reason, it's processes drop substantially during this period.

Any help here is greatly appreciated!

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Include the age of the PSU as well.

As for your images, you can host your images on another site, like Imgur or their ilk, then parse the link ion the thread for us to look at.

drewmeister11

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
Computer model: GP75 Leopard 10SEK
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
SSD/HDD:
GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2060 with 6GB GDDR6
PSU: Not sure how to check this, it's a laptop. Uses 230W adapter. About 2 years old, came with laptop.
Chassis: Again, it's a laptop.
Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎2/‎28/‎2022
OS build 22000.675
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.675.0
Monitor: Dell S3220DGF
View: https://imgur.com/a/lgwnHMQ

Don't know if it's relevant, but I bought this while living in Japan. Don't know if American software would interfere with it or not, but I think it does prevent me from bringing it into a repair shop if the problem is physical.

Ralston18

Titan
And I will add the suggestion to look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Either one or both is likely to be capturing some error codes, warnings, and even informational events that you can associate with the times the computer "beeped" and slowed.

Start with Reliability History. Much easier to use and the time line format can be very helpful.

And you can click on any given entry for more detailed information. Which may or may not prove helpful.

Event Viewer is more difficult to navigate and use. Still, if you take your time, explore first, you can get a sense of it all and then proceed to look for captured errors etc..

drewmeister11

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
Thanks for the advice, had some 'LiveKernelEvent' tags (code 144) which seem to indicate problems with graphics card, either hardware or software. Also had codes which indicated errors with Windows updates. Have made sure everything is up to date and will see if the error happens again.