Computer beeps when I edit video

monere

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012
Hi fellows!

I have a bit of a problem that worries me and I would like to kindly ask you (PRETTY PLEASE) to help me out if you can :)

Here it goes:

2 days ago I started editing videos (nothing resource intensive... or so I'm thinking), just crop some parts out of videos and then save the new video. And today I also started using Handbrake (a free program that shortens the size of videos to considerable sizes) and whenever I do one of these 2 things my motherboard (I think...) starts to beep after a few seconds of processing. Sometimes it doesn't beep, but most of the time it does, and I'm afraid it might fail soon.

Also, I could also hear the same beeps 2-3 months ago when I installed 2 new games (Subnautica and Dying Light) that were eating up a lot of resources for my poor PC. Eventually, after playing with the video settings I have managed to make Subnautica stop beeping and let me play at the same time, but even so, the beeps worry me cause they happen too often and I have no idea how to make them stop because I'm not a computer geek. Which is why I'm asking for your assistance.

Please note that I did some Googling about the beeps and I've found out that there are indeed beep codes associated with each manufacturer of the BIOS software, and while I did find explanations of what these beeps might indicate according to my BIOS manufacturer (AMI) I couldn't really locate the issue properly because the beeps don't follow any pattern described by the manufacturer. They come close to some patterns, but even then, they're not constant. They change patterns quite often, which is why I'm having troubles understanding what's wrong with the motherboard. And the patterns that do come close to the official ones scare the hell out of me because they tell me either to replace the video card, or the RAM, and I can't do either because I'm piss poor. If anything happens to my compute I will probably not be able to buy another one for years as I'm also currently unemployed and broke as fuck. Which is why I'm so desperate to figure out why my MB beeps when I do the video editing.

Last but not least, here's my rig:

CPU... i3-4360 @ 3700 GHz (Haswell 22 mm)
GPU... NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
MB.... Gigabyte H97M-D3H
OS.... Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64
HDD.... Seagate 1TB Sata III,(7200 RPM)
RAM... 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (not sure what the RAM producer is but probably Kingmax since I've always had a thing for this brand, can't explain why. If you really need to know the manufacturer let me know and I'll take a look)

Ok, that's all I think. If I left something out let me know and I'll gladly post an update.

Again, please help me figure out why the MB beeps when I edit video, and more importantly how to make it stop without giving up editing video completely, or without buying new hardware cause, like I said, I can't afford it at the moment.

Cheers!

EDIT: I forgot to say that whenever I do the video editing I keep a free program opened (Speccy) that shows the state of my hardware' temperatures live, and I noticed that the beeps start as soon as my CPU's temperature reaches 65-66 degrees Celsius. I also have an "App center" app installed (that came with my computer purchase and was being offered by Gigabyte) that allows me to increase the fan speed, but even though I raised the speed from 44% that was by default to 75% it still didn't help my CPU's temperature. So, I'm really at a loss on what to do...

monere

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012

I did look in BIOS (UEFI as it's called on my computer) a few weeks ago, and I did see something about that, but I didn't know whether to play with that or not (I am usually very reluctant to fiddling with UEFI because, like I said, I'm not very good at computers and I'm afraid I might fuck up irreversibly)

That being said, if you'll be kind enough to point me to what I should / shouldn't "play with" inside UEFI I will gladly take a look again and see if I can raise the alarm threshold.

Also, while this raise might put a halt on the annoying beeps won't it also endanger the hardware due to inability of stopping the damaging processes in due time??

monere

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012

Neat! Can this only be done only through UEFI?

monere

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012

Oh, I thought BIOS was a software. Oh well...

I'll raise the alarm in 10 minutes or so (need to finish editing 1st), and will come back and update with the new behavior :)

monere

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012
Raising the alarm did solve the beeping problem (the CPU's temperature stays constantly at 67-68 degrees now without beeping), but there's other things that scare the living hell out of me now (the HDD screeches all the time, even after I have paused / aborted / finished editing). The only way to make it stop is by restarting the computer, and if I start editing it starts screeching again :(

Also, while I was in BIOS I noticed that the options for CPU temperature alarm were 60 / 70 / 80 / 90 (so, no 75 like you recommended). Not having 75 available I have picked 80 degrees. Is that bad? Should I lower it to 70?? You said that my CPU has a built-in overheating control. May I ask what will happen if I forget (or I'm not at my computer when that happens) to pause the editing when the CPU overheats? Does the computer shut down? Does it freeze? What exactly happens when the overheating mechanisms triggers?

Last but not least, I've noticed that I can "control" the CPU fan from inside of the BIOS. It was currently set to "normal", but other settings that I've noticed were manual / silent / full speed. I was inclined for a moment to set it to full speed, but thought about asking you first if that's a good option or not. Also, I don't understand what the thing with the app provided by Gigabyte is when I can control the fan speed from BIOS. Like I said in a previous reply I increased the fan speed through that app to 75% from the default 44% but nothing seemed to happend (the CPU still heated at the same pace as before when I did the video editing), so... what's the point of this app anyway? It doesn't seem to work.

Anyway... sorry for the long reply, but I'm still not content with the behavior of my PC, so if you want to share them I'll be grateful. If you don't know them no problem. Still thanks for helping me get rid of the annoying beeps :)

Cheers!

About "screeching" HDD, I'd suggest you check it out first using a program from it's maker, you can find some of those here:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/sortname/hard_disk_drive_(hdd)_tools.html and/or http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/hard_disk_sentinel.html which you can use as free for some time. If it's in good shape you could also defragment it. I like this program: https://www.glarysoft.com/disk-speedup/download/
For fans control you should be able to set to manual and change speed curve so at about 70c hits top speed and start sharp speed raise at about 55 - 60c.

monere

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012

Thanks buddy! I'll take a look at those links and see what this is all about :)

But... what "speed curve" are you talking about? There are no curves anywhere, just numerical values to pick from (I'm talking about the BIOS settings where there's only values like 0.75 PWM / 1 PWM / 2 PWM etc. which I have no idea what they mean by the way :) )

Ok, PWM stands for Pulse With Modulation type of speed control for motors, please read this https://www.ekwb.com/blog/what-is-pwm-and-how-does-it-work/ if interested as opposed to voltage control. I'm sorry I don't know that particular MB and it's BIOS/UEFI but most modern ones display a graph to set speeds.
Those values like 0.75 PWM are probably minimum or maximum RPM allowed on particular fan connector/port (1 PWM / 2 PWM etc.) Your concern is mostly with CPU_Fan connector as it regulates CPU fan control according to CPU temperature.

monere

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012

Hehe don't be sorry man. You've helped me more than I could have hoped for :)

I'll take a look at this link, too as what you're saying in this reply is alien language to me xD

Peace!

PS: I will probably post one more time to update on the HDD issue once I figure out why it screeches.

monere

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2012

Hard Disk Sentinel says my HDD is in perfect condition, so this means I'll have to defragment it. I'll do this later in the day, however, cause as far as I remember defrag does take time (especially for 1 TB HDD), and I still have some work to do.

If defrag doesn't fix the screeching I guess I'll also check for malware but intuition tells me it's not malware. We will see :)

Also, unless other issues arise this is my last message on this particular thread, so I'm not gonna post again unless you or someone else replies. Again, thanks for helping me out and I hope someday I'll be able to return the favor :)

Over and out!