Question Computer behaving erratically, what could be at fault ?

LeKevoid

Reputable
Nov 20, 2015
I tried looking around but I can't find somebody who seems to have a similar situation to mine.

My PC has been erratic for a few weeks now. In the beginning it would just shut down for apparently no reason. I replaced the CPU fan, and it didn't help much, so I applied some thermal paste because I realized the old one was completely dried. Then it ran alright-ish. But since then, any operation, and especially ones related to Windows Explorer, take forever to complete. When I open My PC, it can take anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes before all the drives are listed (but if I type C: in the address bar, I can get on the disk no problem). Same when I, let's say, start a video ; sometimes it starts right away, but after 20 minutes of playing it starts endlessly "buffering". I don't have a problem browsing the web however, Chrome runs smoothly, at least until I decide to download an image or something, then the Windows Explorer window takes the usual endless time to run.

I'd like to know what part you think is most likely at fault ? Nothing seems to come up when I run diagnostics tools on the drives (either the Windows Disk Scanner or CrystalDiskInfo), health seems all good. Is it possible that the CPU has partially fried because I waited too long before replacing the thermal paste ? Do the symptoms fit ?

Thanks for your help !

EDIT : I should mention, this is not all the time. Sometimes I can go almost a whole day without having any issues... I also tried restarting in safe mode and it wasn't as bad, but still sluggish.

LeKevoid

Reputable
Nov 20, 2015
Specs :
Intel i7-930 2.8GHz
12 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
Main Drive : Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB
Secondary Drive : Western Digital 1TB 3.5" 7200 RPM
I'm on Windows 10 Home.

LeKevoid

Reputable
Nov 20, 2015
I'm actually not sure, I can't find a label on the component itself that spells it out. But the PC is a Dell XPS 9100 and it has all the original components except for the hard drives and GPU ; so I'm assuming it must be something like this one as most sources I've seen agree that that model comes with a 525W PSU.