Question Computer Black Screen Crashes | Resets Bios Every Time

Rogan_X

Honorable
Oct 31, 2016
The Problem: I'm playing a game (it has occurred in many titles but in others it has never happened while playing) and my computer without warning hard crashes to a black screen. All fans cease spinning, the system is completely off aside from the RGB lighting on the RAM and graphics card. I have only had crashes while gaming, never while watching video or doing light duty work. This would lead me to believe it has something to do with power draw or heat.

When I turn the computer back on, the bios has been reset (CMOS Cleared?) and I have to set up my XMP profile again. Sometimes Windows goes through some first time boot up setup for android support, one drive etc. but not every time. I cannot access the internet because my computer says that the date and time are not correct so I have to open settings and turn off auto date and time and turn it back on to get the correct date and time to display allowing my to access the internet (controlled by BIOS).

I feel as though the problem is MOBO related (positive it is not caused by the CPU because I upgraded recently and it crashed with both the old and new CPU).

Can I Replicate It? Kinda, when I it happened last night I was able to replicated it by going into my "hideout" in Escape From Tarkov and clicking on my "Water Collector" which would cause the crash. I tried this 3-4 times in a row and it crashed it every time but after clicking on some other menu items in the hideout and going back to the Water Collector it no longer caused the crash. (You can see this in the video linked below)

VIDEO LINK

Frequency: I built this system a few years back. About a year after I built it this happened for the first time but it only occurred once every 6-8 months for a few years so I didn't think much of it. A couple months ago it began happening every couple weeks, then multiple times a week and last night it happened 3 times while playing Escape from Tarkov. It only happens while gaming. Notable titles that have caused the crash are PUBG and Escape from Tarkov. I played Modern Warfare 2 for a couple hours earlier in the day without issue.

What I have Tried: I have replaced the CMOS battery, updated BIOS, Checked Temps (GPU no more than 75C air cooled, CPU 60C AIO cooler). I have had the crash with XMP both enabled and disabled.

Note About the CPU: I upgraded to this CPU about a month ago and I didn't see an uptick of crashes when I installed it. I was getting crashes before I upgraded and am still now with the upgrade. I upgraded from a Ryzen 7 3700X.

Computer Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING
MOBO: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X
PSU: Seasonic 1000W 80+ Gold
RAM: Corsair RGB DDR4 3600
DRIVES: 1 M.2 NVME Drive (boot drive) 2 SATA SSD Drives

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
This does sound like a mobo issue but how old is the PSU? It's unlikely considering its brand and wattage but just to be thorough.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
The Problem: I'm playing a game (it has occurred in many titles but in others it has never happened while playing) and my computer without warning hard crashes to a black screen. All fans cease spinning, the system is completely off aside from the RGB lighting on the RAM and graphics card. I have only had crashes while gaming, never while watching video or doing light duty work. This would lead me to believe it has something to do with power draw or heat.

When I turn the computer back on, the bios has been reset (CMOS Cleared?) and I have to set up my XMP profile again. Sometimes Windows goes through some first time boot up setup for android support, one drive etc. but not every time. I cannot access the internet because my computer says that the date and time are not correct so I have to open settings and turn off auto date and time and turn it back on to get the correct date and time to display allowing my to access the internet (controlled by BIOS).

I feel as though the problem is MOBO related (positive it is not caused by the CPU because I upgraded recently and it crashed with both the old and new CPU).

Can I Replicate It? Kinda, when I it happened last night I was able to replicated it by going into my "hideout" in Escape From Tarkov and clicking on my "Water Collector" which would cause the crash. I tried this 3-4 times in a row and it crashed it every time but after clicking on some other menu items in the hideout and going back to the Water Collector it no longer caused the crash. (You can see this in the video linked below)

VIDEO LINK

Frequency: I built this system a few years back. About a year after I built it this happened for the first time but it only occurred once every 6-8 months for a few years so I didn't think much of it. A couple months ago it began happening every couple weeks, then multiple times a week and last night it happened 3 times while playing Escape from Tarkov. It only happens while gaming. Notable titles that have caused the crash are PUBG and Escape from Tarkov. I played Modern Warfare 2 for a couple hours earlier in the day without issue.

What I have Tried: I have replaced the CMOS battery, updated BIOS, Checked Temps (GPU no more than 75C air cooled, CPU 60C AIO cooler). I have had the crash with XMP both enabled and disabled.

Note About the CPU: I upgraded to this CPU about a month ago and I didn't see an uptick of crashes when I installed it. I was getting crashes before I upgraded and am still now with the upgrade. I upgraded from a Ryzen 7 3700X.

Computer Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING
MOBO: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X
PSU: Seasonic 1000W 80+ Gold
RAM: Corsair RGB DDR4 3600
DRIVES: 1 M.2 NVME Drive (boot drive) 2 SATA SSD Drives
I would run memtest first since that can do what your saying.

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
google memtest86
the page has the download link and a guide on how to use it. its pretty simple but running it takes quite a bit of time. the run it and go to sleep and it will be done by morning kind of time

Rogan_X

Honorable
Oct 31, 2016
google memtest86
the page has the download link and a guide on how to use it. its pretty simple but running it takes quite a bit of time. the run it and go to sleep and it will be done by morning kind of time
Thanks for the suggestion. I ran the memtest last night with no errors.

I did some tinkering in the case as well. Redid all connections, dusted, made sure no wires were touching the back of the mobo etc. I am keeping the front and back panels off of the case for now. We will see if I still have crashes. I will update when I learn anything.