[SOLVED] Computer black screens after increase ram speed

Feb 8, 2020
Set up
ryzen 3600
5700xt
corsair 3200
gigabyte 570 UD

Ram is factory set to 2133 can play games just fine at this setting. Enable XMP and increased ram to 3200. Doing normally web browsing youtube etc everything is fine but 5-10 minutes into fortnite the game will freeze black screen and then computer restarts? Any Ideas?

Solution
So I was able to put ram speed to 2933 under XMP and everything has been fine, any idea why I can run that but not 3200?
I'm assuming you haven't tried manually adjusting memory speed timings and voltage. It's very easy to do at least the "primary" settings. You should first update the bios to the newest version if you haven't done so yet. The user interface may be different from what you have now, so the manual may only help guide you to the correct menus to change memory frequency, timings and voltage. You may not even need to manually set anything if XMP works with the newest bios version, so get the bios updated and try XMP again.
Set up
ryzen 3600
5700xt
corsair 3200
gigabyte 570 UD

Ram is factory set to 2133 can play games just fine at this setting. Enable XMP and increased ram to 3200. Doing normally web browsing youtube etc everything is fine but 5-10 minutes into fortnite the game will freeze black screen and then computer restarts? Any Ideas?
Beside increasing speed, you need to manually enter timings and voltage for the RAM to run at 3200MHz.
Look at your RAM specifications.

I thought XMP did this all for you? Am I missing something lol
Download and follow the instructions to install memtest86 to a usb flash drive and boot to the USB flash drive as UEFI USB from the boot menu or set UEFI USB as first boot device in the bios. Memtest86 will automatically start a default 4 pass test. If you get any errors at the XMP 3200MHz setting, use a second profile if it has it or set the ram to 2933 or 3000MT/s at the timings advertised for your kit and set voltage to 1.35. Run memtest86 again and if it still gives errors, set all memory settings to automatic so it runs at 2133MT/s and run memtest86 again. If you still get errors at 2133, you should RMA the ram for a replacement. https://www.memtest86.com/

Feb 8, 2020
Download and follow the instructions to install memtest86 to a usb flash drive and boot to the USB flash drive as UEFI USB from the boot menu or set UEFI USB as first boot device in the bios. Memtest86 will automatically start a default 4 pass test. If you get any errors at the XMP 3200MHz setting, use a second profile if it has it or set the ram to 2933 or 3000MT/s at the timings advertised for your kit and set voltage to 1.35. Run memtest86 again and if it still gives errors, set all memory settings to automatic so it runs at 2133MT/s and run memtest86 again. If you still get errors at 2133, you should RMA the ram for a replacement. https://www.memtest86.com/

Ok thanks I’ll try this tonight!

Feb 8, 2020
It depends on the RAM been optimized for the Ryzen platform.
What's the model of your RAM ?

C

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)

So I was able to put ram speed to 2933 under XMP and everything has been fine, any idea why I can run that but not 3200?
I'm assuming you haven't tried manually adjusting memory speed timings and voltage. It's very easy to do at least the "primary" settings. You should first update the bios to the newest version if you haven't done so yet. The user interface may be different from what you have now, so the manual may only help guide you to the correct menus to change memory frequency, timings and voltage. You may not even need to manually set anything if XMP works with the newest bios version, so get the bios updated and try XMP again.

Solution
Feb 8, 2020
I’m on bios f3 and it goes up to f11 can I update straight too it? Or do I need to download and update each version ?

I’m on bios f3 and it goes up to f11 can I update straight too it? Or do I need to download and update each version ?
It probably won't be an issue to update directly to F11, but you may want to do F10 first then F11. F11 specifically mentions improved memory compatibility, so you definitely want to use that update as it may make your memory work properly with XMP.

Reactions: rjoachim08