Question Computer black screens and restarts under load

Apr 9, 2022
I built my computer in 2020 and it works great for the most part but it's not uncommon for it to randomly black screen and restart when its underload like when I'm playing a graphically intensive game. I've dealt with this for awhile but I'm tired of dealing with it and need to get it to stop. when this happens my computer remains on but my monitors go black and then it goes to the windows lock screen. I have a suspicion that it's the power supply but I would rather not replace it if I don't need to. If it's relevant I have NZXT CAM controlling fan curves and all of that stuff and am running Windows 10. Thanks in advance for any help!

Specs List:
  • Ryzen 7 3700x
  • Gigabyte Vision 3080 10gb (know this isn't the issue because I just recently got it and have had issues for awhile
  • MSI b450 Tomahawk
  • 16gb Trident Z Neo 3600 (2 sticks of 8)
  • Thermal Take 750W 80+ Gold
  • 2tb nvme
  • 1tb sata SSD
  • 1tb hard drive

Apr 9, 2022
What GPU you had before 3080? You had same issue on it too?
What exactly Thermaltake model it is?
Does it happen only under load? Does it matter what kind of load (CPU or GPU)?

• Before the 3080 I had a 1060 6gb
  • I got it awhile ago but the think the PSU was a Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 Modular (PS-TPD-0750FNFAGU-1)
  • Yes it only happens when the computer is under load. I think happens more with GPU load because I don't really have issues with CPU intensive games typically like Minecraft but have a lot of issues with games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Red Dead 2, etc. I could be wrong on that though

Hmm, that's a tough one. Power consumption difference between 1060 and 3080 is huge, therefore if we were to assume PSU had a problem delivering enough power to 1060 then I would expect the issue grow a lot the moment you installed 3080 - which you did not mention. On the other hand unexpected restarts are most often caused by PSU so hard to judge. Have you been monitoring your temps on CPU and motherboard when the restarts happen?

Apr 9, 2022
Hmm, that's a tough one. Power consumption difference between 1060 and 3080 is huge, therefore if we were to assume PSU had a problem delivering enough power to 1060 then I would expect the issue grow a lot the moment you installed 3080 - which you did not mention. On the other hand unexpected restarts are most often caused by PSU so hard to judge. Have you been monitoring your temps on CPU and motherboard when the restarts happen?

Yeah the problem hasn't increased since the upgrade so thats got me stumped. I'll try monitoring the temps around when it restarts and update you

elfacool

Prominent
Apr 10, 2022
I have the exact same PSU - but an aorus master oc 3070 card running an i9-10900k processor and in the BIOS under power management - I had Performance selectedl.
My PC blackscreened and restarted on some games, after I selected - Balanced it stopped doing it.
I guess the PSU can't push enough power, or some Voltage line dips and a restart is triggered.
I will be swapping out my PSU soon.

Apr 9, 2022
Hey I know its been awhile but I just ran my computer through some stress tests with Furmark and my cpu got as high as 96 degrees according to NZXT CAM before I got nervous and shut it down. I'm not sure if thats a normal temperature for a stress test but it seems like a lot to me. I have a coolermaster hyper 212 black cooler, maybe it's not making good thermal contact? would this possibly be the cause of my issues? Also on a side note I've noticed it happens a lot specifically when playing Madden don't know what to take from that though.

Last edited:
my cpu got as high as 96 degrees according to NZXT CAM before I got nervous and shut it down.
No need to shut down. Modern CPUs are made such way they won't hurt themselves even with high temps. You are doing more harm shutting it down. Stress test are specifically made to make CPU as hot as possible.
I have a coolermaster hyper 212 black cooler, maybe it's not making good thermal contact?
If it were true you would also get high temps on idle. Do you?
would this possibly be the cause of my issues?
CPU going too hot could cause black screens. That would be rare but not impossible type of failure.
Also on a side note I've noticed it happens a lot specifically when playing Madden don't know what to take from that though.
What are CPU/GPU temps when playing Madden?