Computer black screens permanently when installing AMD Display Drivers

Volt1345

Prominent
May 23, 2017
Hey I have been having problems with my computer for about 2 weeks now. I was running smoothly with Windows 8.1 with the following specs
AMD FX-6300 Processor
Gigabyte GA-78LMTUSB3.0 MOBO
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB RAM
ASUS RX-470 4GB
and a 550W 80+ Bronze EVGA PSU
I recently decided to upgrade to Ryzen so I had to install the following
Ryzen 5 1600 Processor
ASUS Prime B350-Plus MOBO
and 8GB of Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz RAM
Everything powered on and I did a clean install of Windows 10 to make sure Ryzen would work properly. With this install of Windows 10 my Graphics Drivers were missing so when I went to install the latest (tried from AMD and ASUS websites) the computer would crash during the installation of the AMD Display Drivers. I tried pretty much every solution I could find on the internet to no avail. With this I thought maybe my GPU wasn't compatible with Windows 10 so I replaced the RX-470 with a new: Sapphire RX-580 4GB. The same issue occurred (I did try to use DDU to clean install drivers). With this I thought maybe my PSU was the problem so I purchased a Corsair 650M. That didn't change anything either. If anyone has any other suggestions please I'm very desperate because this whole issue is killing my wallet and I am unable to play my games.
(My MOBO's Bios are up to date.)

Solution
im not sure if this is the reason, but amds drivers have been complete crap since relive. i had a 390 and newer drivers were completely worthless and forums have a number of people complaining about issues with polaris cards as well. its why i finally said F it and gave nvidia a go. try installing the last drivers before relive and see what happens. thats what i had to do with my 390.

Volt1345

Prominent
May 23, 2017

I used DDU again and I used the driver you suggested but when I installed it didn't install any display drivers. It did install everything else smoothly but at no point during the installation did it show it was installing AMD display drivers. Will my graphics card still work?

jakubek160

Respectable
May 22, 2017
Use unigine heaven benchmark and see if it works. If it does and you get more than 60 fps than you are good. If not the only way to make it install the newest drivers without the problems is to reinstall your windows.

Every times you install a new copy of os , it reinstalls all of the drivers to the newest versions and it will work without any problems. Try it if you don't get the framerates I told you. :)

Volt1345

Prominent
May 23, 2017

Also, I made a mistake when writing my original post, I did the free upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, could that be why I have this problem?

jakubek160

Respectable
May 22, 2017
You need to reinstall your windows then. That's the main thing to do. Write down your current windows key and you are good to go. Here is a tutorial on how to download and install the new copy of windows on the pendrive LEGALY from microsoft website. During the instalation you just insert your key. If you don't want to write down the key , the easiest way to do it is to log in into your microsoft account on this pc and after installing new windows log back into it. Than microsoft does the job for you and the key goes to the new fresh installed windows. :)

Volt1345

Prominent
May 23, 2017

I'm finally on a fresh clean install of Windows 10, I just wanted to make sure before I proceed, should I install the latest drivers or still use the ones you suggested for my RX-580?

Volt1345

Prominent
May 23, 2017
I am still having this problem after a clean install of windows 10, I tried every method I tried previously too and tried DDU 4 times with no avail, somebody please help, I am typing from my phone because I have given up on the pc at this point. I tried all driver versions that are compatible with my card and OS as well

jakubek160

Respectable
May 22, 2017
DUDE! After you install a fresh copy of windows YOU DON'T NEED TO UPDATE DRIVERS! DON'T INSTALL THEM! THEY ARE ALLREADY INSTALLED BY THEM SELFES! Just do it once again and DON'T TOUCH ANY DRIVER RELATED STUFF. :)

mrobscura

Prominent
Mar 9, 2017
im not sure if this is the reason, but amds drivers have been complete crap since relive. i had a 390 and newer drivers were completely worthless and forums have a number of people complaining about issues with polaris cards as well. its why i finally said F it and gave nvidia a go. try installing the last drivers before relive and see what happens. thats what i had to do with my 390.

Solution