Computer blue screens every couple of days

jrodmanlive

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
When I first built my computer, I had no problems with BSOD. Now it happens every other day. I had a period of time where I didn't get a BSOD for 2 weeks or so. I really do not want to pay someone to fix this. Any help is much appreciated

britnyarleen

Honorable
May 23, 2013
Jrodmanlive

1:-first Make sure that all the internal cables, cards, and other components are installed and seated properly.

2:- Did you just install a new program or a piece of hardware, update a driver, install an update, etc.? If so, there's a very good chance that the change you made caused the BSOD:
Startup using Last Known Good Configuration to undo recent registry and driver changes.
Use System Restore to undo recent system changes.
Roll Back device driver to version prior to your driver update.

3:- Update drivers for your hardware. Most Blue Screens of Death are hardware or driver related so updated drivers could fix the cause of the STOP error.

casper1973

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Blue screens vary - they don't all mean the same thing.

Unless you provide some more information, or a screenshot, all we can do is guess blindly at what is causing them.

Here is a sample BSOD. The text in red boxes is what we need to know to assist you better.

IYlnfbG.jpg

jrodmanlive

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

The error I was getting was Uncorrectable Hardware Error
There was also a error code: 0x0000000124

jrodmanlive

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

I'm not overclocking.

casper1973

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
That makes things a bit clearer thanks. It will be Bugcheck 0x124 WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

I have only ever seen this cause by one of 3 things

1. Bad BIOS settings (ie. Trying to overclock too much)
2. Temperatures getting too high
3. Part of your hardware is faulty (ie. RAM, GPU, CPU, Motherboard etc)

#1 is already ruled out since you haven't overclocked.

I would start by installing HWMonitor to monitor the temperatures of your CPU and GPU.

Run some stress tests while HWMonitor is open. Prime95 will push your CPU & RAM while FurMark will stress the GPU. Run them for about 30 mins each and keep an eye on temperatures.

Temperatures should remain under 80 degrees for both.

If no problems occur here - move on to testing the RAM. Download MemTest86+ and burn it to a CD/DVD. You then boot from this CD/DVD and it starts testing your RAM. Leave it to run for at least a few hours and see if any errors are found.

Let me know how that all goes.

jrodmanlive

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

I tested with both Prime95 and FurMark and the temps, at some points, were higher than 80 (ex: 82-82) but dropped into the 70s shortly after. Memtest came back with nothing.

casper1973

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Sorry for the late response I have been out of the country for a few days.

Those temperatures are high considering you have no overclock. Give the heatsink a blast of compressed air to dislodge any dust build-up then re-apply some good thermal paste. I'm doubtful this will sort your blue screens but I advise doing it anyway.

Does your motherboard/cpu have integrated graphics? My next step would be to remove the graphics card and run integrated graphics for a while and see if it still blue screens.

yeungl

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007

80 degree is too high. Mine with overclock, always between 35 to 50.

jrodmanlive

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

Are you talking celcius or fahrenheit?

jrodmanlive

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

I gave the heatsink a good spray and I do have integrated graphics so I will try that.