Computer Boot - Instant Turn off

Nov 25, 2018
Hey guys,

I'm struggling with some boot issues on my custom desktop. I have gone through the list sticky list and I've been able to check off most of those steps!

My computer has been built for years, and recently I noticed that it started to freeze/shutdown randomly. It also would occasionally not boot up all the way (start to boot for 10 seconds then power off). Eventually it got to the point where I couldn't even get it to turn on. It powers on, single beep, the fans begin turning for about 1 second, then just completely powers down.

I did some checks and eventually settled on PSU issues. So I bought a new PSU and replaced it... but the problem persists. I've unplugged all peripherals, I've tried booting with only one stick of RAM (in different slots), I've tried unplugging anything not required (like CD ROM, card readers, etc), and I've tried booting with the GPU uninstalled.

At this point I'm thinking it's between the CPU or the motherboard itself. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for determining between the motherboard or CPU failure? The one thing I haven't tried yet is redoing the thermal paste on the CPU - is it possible that poor thermal paste could cause a shutdown that quickly?

System Specs:

Windows 10
Intel i5 CPU
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
Graphics Card: HIS R9 270
Old PSU: Corsair TX650W
New PSU: EVGA 650BQ
500 GB SSD (Primary)
1 TB HD (Slave)
8GB Ram (4 x 2GB)

Thanks very much!

Nov 25, 2018