GNTSquid

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2014
Earlier today I in the same room as my computer but not using it. As far as I could tell it was idle and the last time I touched it was maybe 8 hours prior when I set some things to download on Steam overnight. I hadn't touched the computer since. As I was sitting there, monitor already turned off (by me not an error) I heard the tiny speaker I attached to the motherboard beep like it was doing a POST. I didn't think anything of it but an hour later when I went to use the computer I found that it was in BIOS.

No errors, no messages, no warnings. I closed out of the BIOS/UEFI to go to the Windows 10 desktop but instead of doing that the computer rebooted itself, showed the splash screen to go into BIOS where it says press F2 or Del. Except this time it didn't go past that screen. It would go to BIOS anyways even without me doing anything. I tried to reboot the computer several more times to the same result. Eventually I had to leave so I just shut the computer down. I come back maybe 4 hours later, turn the computer on and everything is working fine again. What gives?

FYI. This is a brand new computer that I finished building 3 days ago. It has been working perfectly fine (aside from one user created error) up until today. At the moment every piece of hardware is new except the PSU and the video card.

I'm wondering if I have something set in the BIOS that is making it unstable? Its a really odd problem I've never seen before so I have no idea what to even look out for. Its also the first time I've had any ability to overclock anything in a computer. So I did/do have my RAM overclocked to match the advertised RAM speed. Instead of the default 2100 speed I have the DOCP enabled to run it at 3600. This is also my first build using an AIO CPU cooler. A lot of these settings the BIOS are new to me and I didnt mess with them much in my last build so Its all a little overwhelming and the manual isn't very informative on what the settings actually do. But that all said i've hardly done anything with this computer aside from browse the web and download a bunch of stuff. I played one hour long session of Call of Duty Modern Warfare (2019) but didnt have any problems. Other than that the computer hasn't been pushed.

Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
AIO: Fractal Designs Celsius+ S24 X2 PMW 240mm AIO CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming
Video card: MSI GeForce GTX970 (temporary from old PC until I can get a newer one)
RAM: G. Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) 3600
M.2 drive: Western Digital WD_Black SN750 500GB (Windows drive)
SSD: Seagate BarraCuda 210 SSD Compute 2TB (to store most everything)
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold fully modular (from previous build)

GNTSquid

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2014
Do you get any bios error codes?

Is the correct boot drive set in bios as boot option no.1?
Can you see all the drives in bios?
Where would I see bios error codes? Nothing was showing immediately on the screen when I first looked. The Q-Code LED currently says 30 if thats what you're referring to.

Boot drive I believe is set correctly. The way Asus has their BIOS set up i'm a little confused on how it works compared to the MSI board I had. I have 2 drives connected to the computer. The M.2 with the OS and an SSD.
I can see the M.2 in the bios, but I don't see the SSD as an option in the boot order. Boot order only shows the M.2

Last edited:

GNTSquid

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2014
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?44017-Q-Code-30-when-Waking-from-Sleep#:~:text=Q-Code 30 indicates the,available in the motherboard's manual. It woke from sleep.

If you can't see your ssd in bios then it's either dead or not plugged in properly.
Have a look and see if you can fix it.
Its not that I completely can't see it, its shown in the SATA category its just not an option to change its order in the boot order. Though its possible i'm also doing the boot order wrong. I can also save things to and run things off of the SSD. The boot order is the only place it doesn't show up.

I've had zero issues since I made the thread, and I ran a memtest and aida64 stress test for 10min each yesterday and got no errors. Would posting screen shots of the BIOS settings help?

GNTSquid

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2014
I may have fixed it. I went and enabled CSM (not entirely sure what it is or why it needs to be enabled) and left those settings that appeared at default. Did another restart and this time I was given more options in the boot order, but the SSD isnt one of them.
One is the "Windows Boot Drive model name M.2" and the other is the model name of the M.2. It does show the SSD there as being plugged into the SATA and as an option in the Boot Override section but not Boot order or boot priority.

I remember with my MSI board I had a simple drag n drop list of all the things on my computer. I could see all the drives, and even the different ports and I could change it however I wanted. This Asus setup is new to me.

GNTSquid

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2014
I agree. Old bioses seemed easier to view your drives and allocate a boot order to them.
Since it all appears in order why wont the SSD show up as an option in the boot order? Are UEFI's that much smarter now they dont give you an option to change the order of something if it doesn't have an OS on it? Whats the CSM? I read the words it says in the manual but they're not registering with me. Whats the deal with the Windows Secure UEFI and Legacy Boot?

I've already said it but my last build with the MSI board (an intel Z79 chipset) was just about plug-n-play when it came to set up.