Question Computer boot up logo (brand logo) being disorted after graphic card upgrade, why and how do I fix this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAYERET

Commendable
May 4, 2016
Hello, everyone -- so this is my second time posting a forum in this community so excuse me if I put this in wrong category or err'd something in this post.

So first off, I want to say that this subject is not often discussed -- I've looked around in the internet and I only found few forums talking about a similar issue but not this specific one. Infact, I am quite surprised since this problem probably happens pretty often to many people. By all means, if I am wrong please do correct me and attach an existing forum discussion to this forum if it already exists.

Anyhow, I'll get to the point.

---

I bought my gaming desktop about three years ago and it was from Lenovo Legion series (Y700 ideacentre series) and it came with an AMD Radeon R9 370x graphic card and I figured that eventually when I feel that its out of performance I could always replace it with a newer and better up to date video card. So few months ago, I decided that it was about time to upgrade my computer's video card with Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060. I went ahead and removed the old video card from the motherboard slot (although I should have uninstalled the driver first), anyways so I removed it and put the new one in then turned the computer on. I downloaded the new driver and all, then uninstalled the old driver. Everything seems to work fine and I was happy how everything turned out to be fine as it ran smoothly in all of my games.

Then when I turned off the computer and turned it on later, I noticed that my boot up screen gets disorted (not that bad) but you can just tell that the logo is stretched and I was worried that maybe the video card didn't install correctly. So I went and looked around in the internet, it appears so that most motherboards come up with a CSM (Compatibility Support Module) and I did some research about it -- so basically, the motherboard won't let any firmware to be loaded until the motherboard boots up fully and loads OS in first then detects if its safe and then allows the video card to take functions (that's the way how I understood it). Anyways, so I went in the BIOS and disabled the CSM and then rebooted my computer, and yes it did fix the boot up logo, it showed clean and sharp "Lenovo" brand logo. But then when it tries to load in the OS it says "Error 1962, no operating system found" so I realized that it won't boot any further. So I tried following this procedure:

However, it still didn't work so I gave up and reverted it back and enabled the CSM for the time being. I know this isn't a big deal but it has been bothering me ever since, so is there any way to fix it? If so, how?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks for your time.

SAYERET

Commendable
May 4, 2016
Last edited:

SAYERET

Commendable
May 4, 2016
If you change back to csm, it boots? If it is the case you need to reinstall windows in UEFI mode (GPT). Also what OS you use? Windows 7 is not fully compatible to UEFI, it is a hybrid boot, so it needs CSM too.
I have Windows 10 and yes it boots successfully only with CSM enabled.
I’ll try doing your method and see if it works, I’ll keep this forum posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.