[SOLVED] Computer booted fine yesterday but today it won't display anything and Red CPU LED is lit ?

Feb 11, 2021
I bought some used pc parts, don't know how much they had been used but I think very little if at all, don't see anything that would indicate long time use at least.

These are the specs of it as of right now:
Amd Ryzen 5 3600
Msi B450M Mortar Max
Rx 590 (xfy)
2x 8gb HyperX Fury DDR4 2666hz
EVGA 650 GQ

I got the PC set up two days ago and could set up everything just fine. I installed all the latest drivers and flashed the latest bios update. I do think that I did flash the wrong bios (latest B450 Mortar Max bios, without the M) and I feel stupid for that.
When I was going to bed on day 1 the computer didn't fully turn off after I had pressed Shut Down in windows, which I thought was weird. I could shut it down by holding the power switch though. The next day it started fine, but when I turned it off it still didn't fully turn off, and holding the power switch didn't work. I wanted it to turn off fully so I turned off the power supply.

This morning the computer "turns on" but doesn't display anything. The CPU EzDebug LED is lit and I didn't know what to do.

Now I've done everything in the "no POST" guide except fro breadboarding.

I've also tried flashing the correct BIOS update, but I don't know if it did anything. I followed a guide that said that a red LED flashes when it's flashing the bios and stops when it's done, and the LED turned off. After a couple minutes the LED just becomes solid in my case though, so I don't know if it's done or not.

I've reseated the CPU a couple times, no bent pins. I don't know if there can be anything in the "pin-holes" that can cause this, but I can't see/find anything out of the ordinary in regards to the CPU stuff.

I tried using another PSU (Corsair RM750) but it's the same as the other PSU.

That's about it. After everything I've tried I still don't know the cause of the EzDebug LED, if it's the BIOS, the CPU itself or anything else.

Does anyone know what I should do next?

Feb 11, 2021
I tested the CPU on another motherboard (MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX) and it works fine on it, as do the other component.

I think that flashing the bios wrongly is the problem. When I did it I thought "surely you can't flash a bios that doesn't work on here", but maybe you can.. Well, leason learned.

Feb 11, 2021
I've managed to flash the correct bios onto the B450M Mortar Max motherboard. I used a different USB stick than I first used, and that just worked. Didn't see any guide recommening using a different USB stick if flashback doesn't work. First I used a 2.0 stick that didn't work, then a 3.0 stick that did work, if that matters.

Hopefully this helps some others in the future.

Feb 11, 2021
The computer stopped booting once again yesterday, but now it's hopefully fine. There was a little bit of thermal paste next to the CPU socket. Don't know if it was there when I got it (it was used) or if I did it myself, but when I removed it it started booting again. I had seen it before today but it didn't look out of place so I didn't think it was anything harmful.

Hopefully it keeps working.

TLDR: Don't flash the wrong bios. Check motherboard for any thermal paste.

TRENDING THREADS