[SOLVED] Computer booting with no display or lights on keyboard/mouse

Apr 5, 2020
Computer no longer working - boots with no display and no lights on keyboard/mouse.

Had this computer for a few years, and today when i tried to boot it up it went into a boot loop. The fans would spin and the computer would light up briefly and then it would turn off and turn back on. No POST during this time.

I then switched off the PSU and unplugged it, then reconnected the power and turned it on. This time, the computer seemingly booted and POSTed but no display was shown and the keyboard and mouse wouldnt light up, however the sensor on the mouse and the light on my USB mic were both powered.

Ive tried resetting CMOS, reseating virtually everything, hard restarts, etc. to no success and now im completely stumped. Any help would be appreciated. Ive had problems with the PSU before that were similar but i replaced it fairly recently and i doubt thats the issue.

Specs:
Intel i5-4690k @ 3.5 ghz
Asus B85M-G motherboard
2x4Gb DDR3 RAM
Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

Solution
OK I just edited my above post the previous PSU problems may have shortened the lifespan of the board.

Check the capacitators to see if any are bulging or leaking, reseat the RAM and try to boot with just 1 sick. Could also be the RAM or the RAM slots have an issue.
Well how old is your Mobo? it is an older model so it could be just at the end of it's life. 5 years is a fair life span for a board and while this is not an OC board as such and was pretty durable it may well be just dying I'm afraid. Some boards go for years but your previous PSU problems may have shortened your lifespan.

Are any warning lights showing on the board, red, yellow or white?

It is an older DDR3 setup so it maybe an upgarde to the DDR4 platform is due. What are the main uses for the pc, gaming or work related?

Last edited:
Reactions: verysmall
Apr 5, 2020
Well how old is your Mobo? it is an older model so it could be just at the end of it's life. 5 years is a fair life span for a board and while this is not an OC board as such and was pretty durable it may well be just dying I'm afraid. Are any warning lights showing on the board, red, yellow or white?

It is an older DDR3 setup so it maybe an upgarde to the DDR4 platform is due. What are the main uses for the pc, gaming or work related?
The motherboard is actually only about 2 years old. I had one go out ~may 2018 and I didnt have the money to upgrade the entire chipset and asus was still manufacturing them at the time. The PC is primarily used for gaming.

OK I just edited my above post the previous PSU problems may have shortened the lifespan of the board.

Check the capacitators to see if any are bulging or leaking, reseat the RAM and try to boot with just 1 sick. Could also be the RAM or the RAM slots have an issue.

Solution
Apr 5, 2020

Reseated RAM and booted with both sticks individually in both slots and nothing worked. No visible bulging or leaking capacitors but i think you're right in that its probably just the end of the systems lifespan.

Reactions: verysmall