[SOLVED] Computer boots, but no display and 'breathing' MOBO (HOBBY MINING RIG)

May 14, 2021
Hi guys,

I am completely stumped. I am putting together a hobby mining rig for the first time, but am an avid PC builder. I was able to boot into the BIOS no issue 30 minutes ago, but now, I boot up to a black screen and 'breathing' motherboard LED's.

The only changes I made since the last successful boot to BIOS were:
  • Changing the integrated GPU to the default. After making this change I did get a successful boot back to the BIOS so I think we can cross this out as an issue.
  • Turning off the machine to readjust the heatsink CPU fan wire. I took the heatsink off (did NOT touch the CPU) made my adjustment and reconfigured the heatsink. Keep in mind, it's Intel so it's a pain in the ass to get on and off.
  • During the heatsink adjustment I did have to remove the RAM so I could get the heatsink off.
I booted, and now can't get back to the BIOS but all fans are running, including the CPU fan. Do you think I bricked the MOBO/CPU during the take off/put back on of the heatsink? I thought highly doubtful but now I am completely stumped. No beeps, LED's or anything to notify me of an issue either.

So far I've tried:
  • Changing the RAM slot
  • Removing the heatsink + CPU and reinstalling
  • Removing the CMOS battery and reinstalling
  • (EDIT) - I just tried booting without RAM and did NOT receive any beeps
MOBO: ASUS Prime Z390-P LGA1151
CPU: Intel Pentium Gold g5400
RAM: 8GB Ripjaws DDR4

Please help!

Solution
Hi guys,

I am completely stumped. I am putting together a hobby mining rig for the first time, but am an avid PC builder. I was able to boot into the BIOS no issue 30 minutes ago, but now, I boot up to a black screen and 'breathing' motherboard LED's.

• Changing the integrated GPU to the default. After making this change I did get a successful boot back to the BIOS so I think we can cross this out as an issue.
  • Turning off the machine to readjust the heatsink CPU fan wire. I took the heatsink off (did NOT touch the CPU) made my adjustment and reconfigured the heatsink. Keep in mind, it's Intel so it's a pain in the ass to get on and off...
Hi guys,

• Turning off the machine to readjust the heatsink CPU fan wire. I took the heatsink off (did NOT touch the CPU) made my adjustment and reconfigured the heatsink. Keep in mind, it's Intel so it's a pain in the ass to get on and off.
  • During the heatsink adjustment I did have to remove the RAM so I could get the heatsink off.
I booted, and now can't get back to the BIOS but all fans are running, including the CPU fan. Do you think I bricked the MOBO/CPU during the take off/put back on of the heatsink? I thought highly doubtful but now I am completely stumped. No beeps, LED's or anything to notify me of an issue either.

So far I've tried:
  • Changing the RAM slot
  • Removing the heatsink + CPU and reinstalling
  • Removing the CMOS battery and reinstalling
  • (EDIT) - I just tried booting without RAM and did NOT receive any beeps
RAM: 8GB Ripjaws DDR4

Please help!
Troubleshooting threads require complete detailed specs. Include the GPU, complete memory model info, storage configuration and power supply brand, model and age with the rest of the specs you listed.

You mentioned ram slot (singular) as in single stick of ram. If this is the case it should be in slot A2 (4th slot), the furthest from the CPU according to the motherboard manual. If you have 2 sticks they go in slots b2 & a2 (2nd & 4th slots). The CPU supports 2400mhz. DDR4. It does not support turbo boost so there should be no need to enable XMP in bios.

ref.- https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_Z390-P/E15011_PRIME_Z390-P_UM_v3_web.pdf

ref.- https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...m-gold-g5400-processor-4m-cache-3-70-ghz.html

Solution
May 14, 2021
Troubleshooting threads require complete detailed specs. Include the GPU, complete memory model info, storage configuration and power supply brand, model and age with the rest of the specs you listed.

You mentioned ram slot (singular) as in single stick of ram. If this is the case it should be in slot A2 (4th slot), the furthest from the CPU according to the motherboard manual. If you have 2 sticks they go in slots b2 & a2 (2nd & 4th slots). The CPU supports 2400mhz. DDR4. It does not support turbo boost so there should be no need to enable XMP in bios.

ref.- https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_Z390-P/E15011_PRIME_Z390-P_UM_v3_web.pdf

ref.- https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...m-gold-g5400-processor-4m-cache-3-70-ghz.html

Hi, I appreciate the reply!

You are correct, one single stick of RAM.

When I had first booted the machine I had the RAM in the slot CLOSEST to the CPU which booted fine and got me to the BIOS. Upon taking off the heatsink to readjust, I moved the RAM to the slot you mentioned, furthest from the CPU. I don't believe this caused any issues though because after that failed attempt, I attempted a boot with it back in it's original spot (closest to the CPU) and that also did not work post-heatsink adjustment.

Full specs are:
PSU - (NEW) FSP Hydro G PRO 750W 80 Plus Gold Full Modular ATX 12V V2.52 Active PFC Power Supply with 10-Year Warranty (HG2-750)
GPU 1: GTX 1060 EVGA
GPU 2: GTX 1660 SUPER (GIGABYTE)
RAM: 8GB Ripjaws DDR4 (F4-2133C15D-16GRR)
HD: Kingston 240 GB SSD
Running 5 normal case fans

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
1. Please don't bump. Kinda not fair to other posters who get bumped down the list by doing that.

2. Try booting, wait til bios has posted and windows is 'should be by now' trying to load. Pull the plug, literally. Do this 3-4x in a row.

That should boot you to repair mode, run through the troubleshooter to have it repair the pc.

If that fails, run through the troubleshooter but have it boot you to command prompt...
Sfc /scannow
Then try...
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Hangups on load like that are most often associated with a corrupted driver, and almost always its a network driver of some sort. Sfc and dism should correct any system driver errors.