Question Computer boots intermittently

shmu26

Honorable
Feb 18, 2014
When I press the power button on this 5-year-old Pentium II desktop, the button blinks a little, but the computer doesn't turn on. At least, most of the time.
When the symptom first appeared, I thought the PSU was dead, and I put in an old PSU I had lying around. That helped until the next morning, when it stopped turning on again.
After waiting 24 hours, and throwing away the extension cord I was using, it booted again.
But this morning, same issue: the power button blinks but the computer doesn't boot. No sound from the BIOS or anything. No fan, no nothing.

Vic 40

Polypheme
Ambassador
With an old pc might it alos be usefull to replace the motherboard battery. Leave a little time in between so cmos gets reset as well. After that do get into the bios and make sure time and date are set correctly.

shmu26

Honorable
Feb 18, 2014
I tried to start it by placing a screwdriver on the pegs that the power button connects to, and also on the pegs of the reset button. The fan turns over lazily for a few seconds and then dies again.
Removing the CMOS battery, and putting it back in a minute later, didn't help. I assume the battery is good because the computer keeps time even though it is never connected to the internet.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS