Question Computer Boots into Bios and not OS

Jarvy99

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
Hey all, I am trying to load up my PC but every time I turn it on it will boot into bios. I try and reboot after the bios and still takes me back again. I can boot override with the windows boot override that is loaded onto the m.2 drive that my windows has been saved on. I have not changed anything on my PC and was working fine two days ago. No recent downloads or changing of parts so I am very unsure why it has started to do this. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Currently running windows 11 on a full Asus PC and my MB is a Maximus Code XI.

Does it spear any visual text on screen that warns about bad/incorrect/invalid settings?

Also : Have this setup ever worked properly? If yes:What did you do to it before this started?

This behavior you describe can suggest that either:
  • Flat bios battery (easy to replace)
  • Some settings in bios make it unable to boot. Maybe a reset can do the job (on most systems, you'll find an option to reset to default/safe settings).
  • Other: This depends on my questions above, can be many things.

Reactions: Jarvy99

Jarvy99

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
Does it spear any visual text on screen that warns about bad/incorrect/invalid settings?

Also : Have this setup ever worked properly? If yes:What did you do to it before this started?

This behavior you describe can suggest that either:
  • Flat bios battery (easy to replace)
  • Some settings in bios make it unable to boot. Maybe a reset can do the job (on most systems, you'll find an option to reset to default/safe settings).
  • Other: This depends on my questions above, can be many things.
Only visual text on screen is "Del or F2 to enter Bios". After this it takes me to the bios without pressing anything.

This setup has been working properly for the last 5 years fine and have never had a problem like this.

Have never replaced the battery so this may be the case, however, would I still be able to boot override if that was the case?

I have been running a overclock setting for 5GHz for the last five years as well which has always run smoothly with no issues as my CPU is a i9 9900k.

Also it is showing my two boot options for my m.2 drive and another boot option I am unaware of but my m.2 drive is set as my first option and what my PC should be booting off every time.

The only other thing I can think of is my PC started encountering errors with AI Suite 3 but I uninstalled that and my PC was still working fine after I used the uninstaller software for my particular motherboard off the official asus website.

Jarvy99

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
There should be somewhere in bios menu where you can check the voltage levels, it should include the voltage on the clock battery as well.

Btw: Is the date and time in bios set to a wrong time ?
only voltages I could find were my 3V, 5V and 12V voltages which were all represented there.

My bios date and time is correct as well.

Today I was able to click the escape button and it asked me to leave without changes and it allowed me to load up my PC into my OS without having to use a boot override. (Just tried to load up the game valorant which requires the anti-cheat software Vanguard to be run on a secure boot and gave me an error message saying my system was not running on a secure boot so the game could not be opened.)

Ok, so because time/date seems fine, that indcates that bios battery is ok.

There are some couple of easy thing you can test to see if this behavior changes:
  • Do a change in boot priority list. Save. Then revert back to the original boot order, save again.
  • Reset bios battery. Look in the manual for the motherboard, In most cases a jumper that needs to be temporarily seated over some specific pins on the mobo.

Reactions: Jarvy99

Jarvy99

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
Ok, so because time/date seems fine, that indcates that bios battery is ok.

There are some couple of easy thing you can test to see if this behavior changes:
  • Do a change in boot priority list. Save. Then revert back to the original boot order, save again.
  • Reset bios battery. Look in the manual for the motherboard, In most cases a jumper that needs to be temporarily seated over some specific pins on the mobo.
Ok so I did a full reset of the bios and loaded my profiles I previously had which fixed the issue of constantly loading into the bios. Then I did some research on the internet of the warning I was getting on Valorant and I needed to change my secure boot from 'other OS' to 'Windows UEFI' which has now resolved all issues occurring too. Thank you so much for your help.

Reactions: Grobe

TRENDING THREADS