Question Computer boots into windows then shuts off and then the second time I turn it on it works fine?

NoGoodAnything

Prominent
Dec 28, 2020
So I just installed a M.2 and whenever I turn on the computer everything will boot up fine I can get past the log in screen but after a while it will just shut off and then the second time I turn it on everything will work fine. Well this same thing happened to me a while back and it happened when I installed a new motherboard and CPU and I had to clear everything and reinstall windows and it all worked fine but I don't really wanna have to do that again.

NoGoodAnything

Prominent
Dec 28, 2020
what are specs of the PC?

So the m.2 isn't a boot drive?

not sure how it can forget games you previously downloaded.
It's almost like forgetting it's really weird I will download it and then it will show up in steam as not downloaded and then I have to verify the game but then after the next boot the game is there to stay.
Specs:
-AMD Ryzen 7 1700x Eight-Core Processor
-16 GB of ram
-Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
- Windows 10
-WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive
-Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB - M.2

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Have you shared your steam account on any other PC or with any other user? I would reset your steam password immediately, to see if you have a compromised account and games aren't being removed from your install library when another device logs on with your user.

Also check that the drive is seated correctly. I have seen on other drives when a SATA or power cable comes loose, steam tries to 'repair' itself by recreating the steam library if the mapped drive is not the local install drive. Since this is an m.2 drive, do you have it in a slot that conflicts with USB, SATA or PCI devices? This could cause it to intermittently be accessible depending on device and pathway in use.

NoGoodAnything

Prominent
Dec 28, 2020
Have you shared your steam account on any other PC or with any other user? I would reset your steam password immediately, to see if you have a compromised account and games aren't being removed from your install library when another device logs on with your user.

Also check that the drive is seated correctly. I have seen on other drives when a SATA or power cable comes loose, steam tries to 'repair' itself by recreating the steam library if the mapped drive is not the local install drive. Since this is an m.2 drive, do you have it in a slot that conflicts with USB, SATA or PCI devices? This could cause it to intermittently be accessible depending on device and pathway in use.
Well, my m.2 is behind my graphics card and I don't know if this information will help but whenever I boot up the computer and it is going to do the shutoff thing it runs really really slow compared to what it normally does, and then it shuts off and when it shuts off it makes a noise like if someone just unplugged it.

The whole steam log in thing the same thing happens to my Spotify whenever I launch it and I set it to remember my password.

both of them stopped doing the log in thing and somedays my computer will not shut off on boot very rarely.

And finally, whenever I download a game it will forget the game on the first boot I have to verify the files and then the next boot it never does it again.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It seems games not showing as installed after installation is common enough that steam made this page - https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8379-RYIP-2998

I assume when shut PC down at night you just use the power button in the start menu? I seen someone hit reset at shutdown and it broke windows. shutdown can affect restart next day on systems with fast start up on (I know I suggested you turn it off already)

try running chkdsk on the ssd
boot in command prompt (admin), type chkdsk c: /f
if you install games in the hdd, run chkdsk x: /f /r on it as well (replace x with drive letter of hdd)

and press enter. 2 paragraphs will pop up, agree to run on startup and restart PC

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

NoGoodAnything

Prominent
Dec 28, 2020
It seems games not showing as installed after installation is common enough that steam made this page - https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8379-RYIP-2998

I assume when shut PC down at night you just use the power button in the start menu? I seen someone hit reset at shutdown and it broke windows. shutdown can affect restart next day on systems with fast start up on (I know I suggested you turn it off already)

try running chkdsk on the ssd
boot in command prompt (admin), type chkdsk c: /f
if you install games in the hdd, run chkdsk x: /f /r on it as well (replace x with drive letter of hdd)

and press enter. 2 paragraphs will pop up, agree to run on startup and restart PC

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC
Well, I did everything you said to do and it turned off on bootup today this morning.

Colif

Win 11 Master
When it shuts off, is it like windows shutting down or PC just restarts?
i expect windows may not be reason for restarting if it only started after replacing hardware

-AMD Ryzen 7 1700x Eight-Core Processor
-16 GB of ram
-Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
- Windows 10
-WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive
-Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB - M.2
you appear to have forgotten motherboard

NoGoodAnything

Prominent
Dec 28, 2020
When it shuts off, is it like windows shutting down or PC just restarts?
i expect windows may not be reason for restarting if it only started after replacing hardware

you appear to have forgotten motherboard
Nope when the computer shuts off it literally goes from being on to off no shutting down screen just like this faint pop noise and then black.

NoGoodAnything

Prominent
Dec 28, 2020
that isn't windows then. that is mysterious.

what motherboard is it?
what power supply?
fact it works fine after a restart is just odd.
I don't know what the power supply is but the motherboard is AX370-Gaming-CF and it is not like a restart it loads in and runs really slow and then just pops and shutsoff

TRENDING THREADS