Computer boots to black screen only.

weidanny97

Prominent
Aug 12, 2017
So earlier today I finally gave in to updating my Windows. I'm not sure what version it is or how long I've had it bugging me to update, maybe 2 months. So I let it install and when it was done, I noticed my some programs that were pinned to my taskbar were gone (Windows applications such as calculator, calendar etc) so I just restarted my computer. Shows me the login screen, cool I enter my password and then I'm greeted with a black screen and my mouse cursor. Restarted my computer a few more times. No luck. Googled and someone said to try pressing Windows Key + P, down arrow twice and press enter. Still doesn't work. I went to access safe mode from the login screen (holding shift and pressing the restart button) and I proceeded to go into safe mode after clicking restart. Now, my screen is completely black with no mouse cursor after pressing the power button, no login screen, nothing. My mouse ad keyboard still light though. I can't access the BIOS either. Here are things that I've done:

Restart my computer
Boot with only 1 ram and using my integrated graphics
Unplug all my peripherals
Dusted off my PC
Switched monitors, both monitors do the same thing
Made sure all my cables are in fully (GPU, CPU pin on mobo, HDD/SDD)
cry

Any help or suggestions would be gladly appreciated. Here are my specs:
i7 6700k
Asus 980 Ti
Asus ROG Formula VIII
OCZ SSD
Western Digital HDD
bequiet PSU

Solution

Mohan_27

Reputable
Jun 2, 2017

Hello,

boot with each individual RAM sticks and see if it loads.

Sometimes when applications are missing it may be due to a faulty HDD. Ensure its fitted in properly with a SATA and a cable from the PSU.

Im guessing you have tried all of this:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-fix-black-screen-problems-windows-10
If not do so.

How do you know all pieces of hardware are working?
Check the LED'S and fans.

When you installed windows did you install it via a usb?
Make sure in the bios your computer is booting from the HDD.

Try these:
https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/fix-windows-10-black-screen-with-cursor-error/

Solution

Chris Harmon

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013

I have the same exact problem on two different computers. First a Z170 ROG Hero/7700K desktop currently running off the iGPU and some old pos laptop. Both run windows 10 and probably just updated(I put it off for max amount of time). On the Z170 I managed to hit ctrl alt del and or ctrl shift esc and got to the task manager where I ran the command "msconfig" and selected to reboot into safe mode with networking which loads the desktop and gets past the black screen with white cursor. It seems for some reason the desktop doesnt want to load after initiating the login process. FYI I have one login with no password set on the Z170 rig so it boots strait to desktop normally after showing the bios > windows logo > my personal login picture > desktop but now desktop is replaced with black screen unless in safe mode. Maybe it has to do with my assosiating with hotmail for the admin account, not sure. The laptop booted fine after I hit ctrl alt del and it then proceeded to ask me to login to one of two accounts which I did successfully. This obviously is an issue with windows update and not bios.