Computer boots to black screen

Lamont_2

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016
So, I recently had my HDD fail. I figured it failed since I have had it for years and it was the only part of my computer that I didn't buy new. So I got a new one and it was fine for 3 days, but I got a system error with a blue screen and then when my computer attempts to boot it goes to the black screen. The thing is, when it gets there the white line for typing goes crazy on the screen then settles in the bottom left corner. I know it's the HDD since I'm unable to reinstall Windows on it. The same thing happened with my last one. Could my HDD be failing due to overheating? My case fans and other fans broke so I had none of the fans running and my computer wasn't going to sleep either since my power button broke and I didn't want to keep shorting it to get it running. Could this be an overheating problem? I've already replaced my case so all fans are up and running but I just wanted a second opinion. I have a i7-6700k, EVGA 1070, 16gb DDR4, thermal take 650w. And a Gigabyte B150m motherboard.

Hey there, Lamont_2.

Well, having no fans (no pun intended) could really do a lot more than lead to a failed HDD. It's good that you have a new case with everything up and running. Basically I'd recommend that you try the HDD with a different SATA port and cables, or even better - with a different computer, to see if it's recognized and if you can test it with its manufacturer's diagnostic tool and see what's the situation.

It would also be a good idea to stress test your whole system once you have OS installed on it so that you make sure that none of the other components have been damaged during the period where you had no airflow in the case.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

Lamont_2

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016
So, do you believe it is the HDD though? Upon removing it, it was pretty hot to the touch. When attempting to wipe it and reinstall Windows it tells me that it can't because the disk is missing files, but the disk worked fine on both HDD before they started failing to boot.

TRENDING THREADS