Computer boots up, but doesn't show display

skittlewarrior17

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015
I just bought a new pc that came in today, and it boots up fine with all lights coming on and fans spinning, but won't show up on display. It doesn't have a vga but it does have dvi and hdmi, so I plugged in hdmi to a monitor that I know works because I tested it. I am not that good with wiring, so be aware of that. Thanks!

Tom Keenan

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015
Did you make sure the graphics card is plugged in all the way. It sounds like you bought a prebuilt system, so if you're comfortable opening it up I'd do that and make sure the GPU fans are spinning and it's seated all the way down. If you're not I'd call tech support *shudder* and ask.

skittlewarrior17

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015

Ok I will try that, I'm a little afraid that I will get electrocuted or something or the liquid cooling will spill on me, but i'll probably be fine. Also it is seated under the motherboard, would that make a difference?

skittlewarrior17

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015

Graphics card is fully inserted and seated safely, and fans are running normally. I forgot to mention the parts:
6GB RAM
i7 980 CPU
R9 280x GPU

skittlewarrior17

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015

Sorry not under the motherboard, it's on the motherboard normally. But it still does not show up on the display, but I plugged in my phone and it charges, and my mouse led is on

Tom Keenan

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015

Did you test the hdmi cable you're using. It could be deffective. Also is the cable plugged in all the way. If nothing else works you can get a dvi cable to test, it could be a dead hdmi socket.

Josue_

Reputable
Oct 14, 2015
it could be the HDMI cable. I had the same problem with one of my hdmi cords, it got me mad for so long but after using a new hdmi cord it worked perfectly.

skittlewarrior17

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015

I am sure that it is not the hdmi as it works on other devices, it is completely plugged in. I think it may be that, but i'm also going to try reseating the ram.. thanks for the help

skittlewarrior17

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015

I tried three different ones and they all worked on a different pc, so i'm pretty sure it's not the hdmi cord.